When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fully Modded Rubens Barrichello

Charging $1500 for a fully serviced/waterproofed RBII Rubens Barrichello with gear mod, satin skeletal plate with white-gold plating.

Too expensive? Trying to monopolize the idea at the moment, all work done by a very competent watch maker from Singapore. Will post pics up.

EDIT: Each watch will also be fully disassembled, movement cleaned and oiled case is waterproof tested then reassembled. Watch after the work is

finished will be 98% close to the gen. One of the replicas we made was shown to an AP dealer in Hong Kong (good friend) who was floored by what he saw.

Him, like most people have never seen an Rubens Barrichello in the flesh, thought was genuine until told otherwise.

Edited by mrbrown1

If you were going to do a cote de geneve on the plate the price may hold, I m well away from being able to afford it. Also the EOD is near release I m told, lots want that watch and it may hurt any your chances. Certainly get some pictures, they do speak a thousand words (except if there my pictures then they just grunt) :)

Guest Sql_pl

Yup - i'd be very interested but at $1500 thats way too crazy.

I know it probably takes some work to take care of that plate but other things like service and waterproofing are not that expensive.

Also if you'd buy watches in bulk you'd probably be able to get them for $500.00 per piece without bigger problems.

Please post some pics of the finalised version, reconsider your pricing and we can talk. And I am sure I am not the only person interested in it.

Yup - i'd be very interested but at $1500 thats way too crazy.

I know it probably takes some work to take care of that plate but other things like service and waterproofing are not that expensive.

Also if you'd buy watches in bulk you'd probably be able to get them for $500.00 per piece without bigger problems.

Please post some pics of the finalised version, reconsider your pricing and we can talk. And I am sure I am not the only person interested in it.

Agreed... and what about those who already have one ? How can they get this done? Customs issues for those outside Singapore?

$1500 sounds reasonable to me. yes he is making $ from the servicing but its alot of labor and time, r/d investment

show pics of finished product and if the quality is good you will have buyers for sure..

just prob not many on this board since they are enthusiasts who would rather mod themselves

Guest Sql_pl

$1,500 sounds reasonable??

300% of initial value for modified plate? I know it also includes servicing, waterproofing etc etc but the plate mod is the most important part of this package.

I am sorry but even though I used to spend much money on some special reps in the past, now I feel that $1,500 is too much especially for an asian 7750 rep with sec at 12 modification... double that and you have a gen Panerai.

And let's not forget that even with full $1,500 package we still have some other flaws to fix. Datewheel, lume, chrono subdials that are too shiny in replica. We also need a new strap then and probably also new buckle as rep ap buckles are not too good.

I really do not want to crap in your thread but you asked for opinions and this is mine.

However I'd really love to see some pics of the product.

Way ou of the ballpark. These watches at $600 are already overpriced. I'd much rather have a gen something or another for $1500.

However... I am unaware of being able to plate in white gold. Do you really mean that it will be rhodium plated?

You are correct. White gold is rhodium plated to get the white color. There is no such thing as white gold plating.

I ended up buying one of these replicas, as I just couldn't resist. I had previously owned a genuine and sold it for $52,000 when the economy was good and made a nice profit after wearing it many times.

My opinion is modding it is kind of a catch 22. People who know the watch will be able to tell it is fake anyways (cyclops too far to the right and not AR coated, also too shallow and lacks the depth the genuine has) and the fit and finishing of the case isn't quite there yet. The clasp is not titanium and the wings of the clasp are supposed to be sandblasted titanium. The bezel screws aren't aligned like the genuine (this can be easily fixed). I also think the crown and caseback is stainless steel as it doesn't have that titanium look (I want to be proven wrong though).

People who don't know the watch won't be able to tell the difference between a modded and a unmodded $600 piece. The watch alone has gotten many compliments from strangers who don't know what an AP is. So in reality, it doesn't really make a difference between modding it or not, except for your own satisfaction.

Given the bad economy, the genuine can be had for about $40K and can be easily resold as it's still a hot watch among AP collectors. There's a lot of potential to make a profit off a genuine even after wearing it many times. ;)

Just my 2 cents after a long hiatus. :)

Edited by thomasng