When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fully Modded Rubens Barrichello

I ended up buying one of these replicas, as I just couldn't resist. I had previously owned a genuine and sold it for $52,000 when the economy was good and made a nice profit after wearing it many times.

My opinion is modding it is kind of a catch 22. People who know the watch will be able to tell it is fake anyways (cyclops too far to the right and not AR coated, also too shallow and lacks the depth the genuine has) and the fit and finishing of the case isn't quite there yet. The clasp is not titanium and the wings of the clasp are supposed to be sandblasted titanium. The bezel screws aren't aligned like the genuine (this can be easily fixed). I also think the crown and caseback is stainless steel as it doesn't have that titanium look (I want to be proven wrong though).

People who don't know the watch won't be able to tell the difference between a modded and a unmodded $600 piece. The watch alone has gotten many compliments from strangers who don't know what an AP is. So in reality, it doesn't really make a difference between modding it or not, except for your own satisfaction.

Given the bad economy, the genuine can be had for about $40K and can be easily resold as it's still a hot watch among AP collectors. There's a lot of potential to make a profit off a genuine even after wearing it many times. ;)

Just my 2 cents after a long hiatus. :)

Hey great to see you back... and good input on this.

I don't believe it would cost too much more to do a proper crystal, lume, AR Removal and a bit of refinishing of the case. Those inclusions would at least make the price a bit more reasonable.

Also, you can purchase a Genuine AP movement for ~$750...

I figure $600 for watch, $750 movement, $200 service, $100 lume, $100 Case refinishing, $150 crystal work, and $100 in misc stuff (AR Removal, Pressure Test, etc), Total cost of $2,000

Lets say the plate mod costs a couple hundred to do, you are still coming out with a couple hundred $ in profit.

If you charged $2500 for all of the above then that seems about fair for a fairly 1:1 of a $50,000 watch...

Mate....post some detailed pics of the watch first. Any price related opinion (and your price reduction) is meaningless without having seen what kinda work is being offered. I was perhaps the first person who bought the RBII when it was launched and love this watch.

A suggestion....I am based in Singapore and if you have the watch with you, would like to have a look @ it in person and also take some pics. Subsequently, will post an unbiased review here and let everyone take their decision accordingly. You might get better traction this way.

Cheers

I don't believe it would cost too much more to do a proper crystal, lume, AR Removal and a bit of refinishing of the case. Those inclusions would at least make the price a bit more reasonable.

Also, you can purchase a Genuine AP movement for ~$750...

I figure $600 for watch, $750 movement, $200 service, $100 lume, $100 Case refinishing, $150 crystal work, and $100 in misc stuff (AR Removal, Pressure Test, etc), Total cost of $2,000

Lets say the plate mod costs a couple hundred to do, you are still coming out with a couple hundred $ in profit.

If you charged $2500 for all of the above then that seems about fair for a fairly 1:1 of a $50,000 watch...

Sorry dude... the gen movement doesn't work with the rep dial. (cyclops!)

Guest soulfood2go
If you check the post, I mentioned crystal work, which implied the fixing of the cyclops.

I'd be interested, but I like to see detailed pics.... if the mods are alright - I'd be in...

Funny enough, all the members supporting this project and claims the charges is super worthy are quite new :g:

Anyhow $1500 is totally out for me.

Appreciate the warm welcome, bertieng.

The latest rep Ti/Ceramic RB2 is actually what lead me to become a RWG member. Unlike the obvious, not so easily remedied issues on the standard rep OffShores (fat case back, misplaced crown, incorrect lume on black-faced), the rep RB2 is very close to gen - esp if Mr. Brown delivers.

Funny enough, all the members supporting this project and claims the charges is super worthy are quite new :g:

Anyhow $1500 is totally out for me.

Check my join date on this forum and others. I post rarely but am far from new.

If you check the post, I mentioned crystal work, which implied the fixing of the cyclops.

:huh:

Well I have checked your post but I have no idea what you mean with crystal work.

You need a gen dial if you want to install a gen movement. The same as a gen dial won't fit a rep movement.

If you use a gen movement with the rep dial, the date wheel won't line up with the date window of the dial.

I have know idea how you are going to fix this.... :D

I already have Ti version and just bought the gold RB2 (not 257). I am very interested in the plate modification alone to update these two purchases.

You should sell the modified plate seperately for those of us that own the watch already.

And...please post pics!

Thanks !