When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Michell Obama

jfreeman420

Recently Michelle Obama went to serve food to the homeless at a government funded soup kitchen.

clip_image002.jpg

Cost of a bowl of soup at homeless shelter: $0.00 dollars

Having Michelle Obama Serve you your soup: $0.00 dollars

Snapping a picture of a homeless person who is receiving government funded meal while taking a picture of the first lady using his $300.00 Black Berry cell phone: Priceless

:lol:

Yes, quite a lot of truth there. Not to go off topic on the original post, which was quite good, it shows the difference between what people consider to be 'recession' now and the recessions and depressions in the past - not enough money to buy a loaf of bread, and now only enough money for 3 plasma TV's in the house and 'recession!'

Yes, quite a lot of truth there. Not to go off topic on the original post, which was quite good, it shows the difference between what people consider to be 'recession' now and the recessions and depressions in the past - not enough money to buy a loaf of bread, and now only enough money for 3 plasma TV's in the house and 'recession!'

Amen.

Ironic. First Lady Obama voiced, at her husband's election; this is the first time in US history that she is proud of America. To my recollection, over fifity years, this is the first time I'd rather my grand parents not taken my Dad and left Britain. I'm depressed, on a national level.

"Mushroom Risotto" at a soup kitchen? You gotta be joking me. When are they uncorking the beaujolais ? Christ kill me.

Not to spoil your fun but........

Where does it say the guy taking the picture is homeless?

Where does it say the soup kitchen is government funded?

Why would you want to belittle someone who is obviously doing something good out of the kindness of her heart?

I find these attitudes much more troubling than what kind of soup they're serving.

And Demps, there are planes leaving for Britain every day.....

My my! This level of patriotism.. You're not an American by any chance are you?

Yes, and quite impressed by our new first lady. She has quite a high public approval ratings regardless of the right wing bashers. Probably the highest since Jackie Kennedy.

Not to spoil your fun but........

Where does it say the guy taking the picture is homeless?

Where does it say the soup kitchen is government funded?

Why would you want to belittle someone who is obviously doing something good out of the kindness of her heart?

I find these attitudes much more troubling than what kind of soup they're serving.

And Demps, there are planes leaving for Britain every day.....

What? No offer to buy the airfare? I distinctly remember on or about the eve of the 2004 election, when the Left wing threatened to leave en masse if 43 got another term, the suggestions from the Right were to indeed bail and that we would oblige airfare. :lol:

No my situation hasn't gone that far, and to be fair here; <clickie> but is aside the point 'Phaedo' had made and he did acknowledge it were off the original topic.

I agree with him, the original post's target response perhaps less so, but this is 'Humour' afterall and it was funny, regardless, what the US declares as 'hurting economically' is well and far above a global standard. Before and still, after the global recession. Even to the strata of income earners we deem 'poverty level' is high living to a greater portion of the globe. The population could well live off it's own body fat for decades. Remember that old sci-fi dystopian film with Charlton Heston, Soylent Green? Why, one puck of recycled American would carry more fat by gram content than a bucket of Big Macs.

I think my conundrum is the general malaise of 'woe is me' everywhere. This is still America and you cannot swing a dead cat 360 and not hit 40 jobs in spite of the current environ. They're just not 'cool' jobs. My neighbor was an accountant for a manufacturing firm, got laid off and is just about at the end of his rope. OMG one of his two Harleys might have to go! THE HORROR! I KNOW! However he's literally moping around the house poring over the internet looking for another accounting job and that 55K salary to kick him in the ass while his wife took a second job as a librarian so they can coast by. There has been a sign in the window of the Radio Shack for a full time manager's position for over five weeks. I mentioned it to him. He's qualified I would imagine. He looked at me like I suggested he go out behind the supermarket and look for bottles. Why, he is a university grad for christ sakes! He deserves an independent office space with secretarial, luncheon expenses, dry cleaning allowance, and personal parking space. There is a sense of entitlement that pervades the population, at all levels, not just the soup line, waiting for big gummint to bail them out and has all but dissolved any real work ethic, pioneer spirit or 'American Dream' concept that brought my grandfather here in the 30's in the first place. The most frustrating aspect is there is zero rehtoric out of Washington to rally national moral. The current administration makes Nostradamus look like the prophet of the happy wanderer. Doom and gloom, gloom and doom. The country is down, dragging ass and falling for the ruse that only government can pull us out. Which it can't. On it's present course. I've stopped paying attention to 'stimulus', 'corporate bail outs', 'fiscal budgets', 'jobs numbers', 'existing home sales' and just get up and go to work. Not in a cockpit either which I would prefer. "Hey, I'm a pilot", is indeed a more suave line to drop in mixed company, rather than now "I work as a hand on a horse ranch. Pretty much picking [censored] out of stalls and mending fences". There are cowgirls there though and I do get to keep my boat :) Wait a minute, Rowdy Yates was a ranch hand and ramrod. Whoa, I do have a cool job! I wonder what a High Plains Drifter gets these days, hmmmmmmmm.............

Anyhoo I do appreciate the suggestion to fly to Britain. It did make me feel better. Surrey in high summer. Ever been? The dafodils are probably gone, the bluebells blazing a carpet through the wood. Early supper in Grandma's summer house in the back garden. A round of golf where they play the game properly; WITH NO ELECTRIC CART! A day trip to Fisher's Farm with the little ones and their cousins. Take the train up to Kew Gardens or down to Beachy Head, maybe on to Cornwall. There is a reason the airfares triple in season. Magnificent. Yeah, that's the ticket. Cheers!

ps no 'p' in Demsey, unless of course you are trying to get my goad like 'Dave123' and call me 'dumpsey'. Ooooooo! That makes me want to crush a grape! :lol:

pps There will never be another Jackie Kennedy. I don't care what popularity polls may infer :)

What? No offer to buy the airfare? I distinctly remember on or about the eve of the 2004 election, when the Left wing threatened to leave en masse if 43 got another term, the suggestions from the Right were to indeed bail and that we would oblige airfare. :lol:

No my situation hasn't gone that far, and to be fair here; <clickie> but is aside the point 'Phaedo' had made and he did acknowledge it were off the original topic.

I agree with him, the original post's target response perhaps less so, but this is 'Humour' afterall and it was funny, regardless, what the US declares as 'hurting economically' is well and far above a global standard. Even and still before the global recession. Even to the strata of income earners we deem 'poverty level' is high living to a greater portion of the globe. The population could well live off it's own body fat for decades. Remember that old sci-fi dystopian film with Charlton Heston, Soylent Green? Why, one puck of recycled American would carry more fat by gram content than a bucket of Big Macs.

I think my conundrum is the general malaise of 'woe is me' everywhere. This is still America and you cannot swing a dead cat 360 and not hit 40 jobs in spite of the current environ. They're just not 'cool' jobs. My neighbor was an accountant for a manufacturing firm, got laid off and is just about at the end of his rope. OMG one of his two Harleys might have to go! THE HORROR! I KNOW! However he's literally moping around the house poring over the internet looking for another accounting job and that 55K salary to kick him in the ass while his wife took a second job as a librarian so they can coast by. There has been a sign in the window of the Radio Shack for a full time manager's position for over five weeks. I mentioned it to him. He's qualified I would imagine. He looked at me like I suggested he go out behind the supermarket and look for bottles. Why, he is a university grad for christ sakes! He deserves an independent office space with secretarial, luncheon expenses, dry cleaning allowance, and personal parking space. There is a sense of entitlement that pervades the population, at all levels, not just the soup line, waiting for big gummint to bail them out and has all but dissolved any real work ethic, pioneer spirit or 'American Dream' concept that brought my grandfather here in the 30's in the first place. The most frustrating aspect is there is zero rehtoric out of Washington to rally national moral. The current administration makes Nostradamus look like the prophet of the happy wanderer. Doom and gloom, gloom and doom. The country is down, dragging ass and falling for the ruse that only government can pull us out. Which it can't. On it's present course. I've stopped paying attention to 'stimulus', 'corporate bail outs', 'fiscal budgets', 'jobs numbers', 'existing home sales' and just get up and go to work. Not in a cockpit either which I would prefer. "Hey, I'm a pilot", is indeed a more suave line to drop in mixed company, rather than now "I work as a hand on a horse ranch. Pretty much picking [censored] out of stalls and mending fences". There are cowgirls there though and I do get to keep my boat :) Wait a minute, Rowdy Yates was a ranch hand and ramrod. Whoa, I do have a cool job! I wonder what a High Plains Drifter gets these days, hmmmmmmmm.............

Anyhoo I do appreciate the suggestion to fly to Britain. It did make me feel better. Surrey in high summer. Ever been? The dafodils are probably gone, the bluebells blazing a carpet through the wood. Early supper in Grandma's summer house in the back garden. A round of golf where they play the game properly; WITH NO ELECTRIC CART! A day trip to Fisher's Farm with the little ones and their cousins. Take the train up to Kew Gardens or down to Beachy Head, maybe on to Cornwall. There is a reason the airfares triple in season. Magnificent. Yeah, that's the ticket. Cheers!

ps no 'p' in Demsey, unless of course you are trying to get my goad like 'Dave123' and call me 'dumpsey'. Ooooooo! That makes me want to crush a grape! :lol:

pps There will never be another Jackie Kennedy. I don't care what popularity polls may infer :)

More truth in here than I care to admit, but did this take long to compose?

I agree with him, the original post's target response perhaps less so, but this is 'Humour' afterall and it was funny, regardless, what the US declares as 'hurting economically' is well and far above a global standard. Even and still before the global recession. Even to the strata of income earners we deem 'poverty level' is high living to a greater portion of the globe. The population could well live off it's own body fat for decades. Remember that old sci-fi dystopian film with Charlton Heston, Soylent Green? Why, one puck of recycled American would carry more fat by gram content than a bucket of Big Macs.

Demsey, didn't mean to spell your name wrong, a la Dave 123. I enjoy your posts more than almost any that I read. You're intelligent and amusing, although a little misguided.

Hey, we're both are pilots and we both love fishing. I'm sure we'd have a good time drinking an talking politics.

But, since I just got home from a nice "Father's Day" dinner with my wife and a couple of martooni's, I'll defer further comments until tomorrow.

And I do agree that there will never be another Jacky O.

Cheers and hope your not leaving any time soon.

As said above, remember that with a big publicity show like this, you will get A LOT of people who have never stepped in a soup line showing up to take that photo because of the "event" nature of it.

Not to say, having worked in a shelter before that there aren't folks in there toting more expensive phones and shoes and receiving handouts than I was sporting.

right, that whole thing is from the bottom of her heart... has nothing to do with publicity?

At least you seem to admit she has a heart. You need to look into your own heart if all you can do is denigrate others that are trying to do good in the world. Bringing publicity to a cause that you have interest in is only good common sense. Why else you you do it? If it does nothing more than bring it to the public's attention she's done more good work than you have by belittling her.

I guess since Bono does so much charity work fighting hunger and aids in Africa, the millions he raises doesn't count because he does it through publicity?

From the Urban Legends website:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/soupkitchen.asp

The photograph is genuine, a snapshot taken on an occasion in March 2009 when Michelle Obama spent some time serving lunch to men and women at Miriam's Kitchen, a social service agency in Washington D.C., as part of the First Lady's effort to "spotlight local organizations, connect with the city and help those in need amid the economic crisis."

However, all the assumptions and implications of the text accompanying this picture are incorrect or unsubstantiated. To wit:

The photograph does not depict anyone "receiving a government funded meal." Miriam's Kitchen is a privately funded organization with the goal of "providing individualized services that address the causes and consequences of homelessness in an atmosphere of dignity and respect"; it is not government run or taxpayer funded.

The photograph does not necessarily depict a "homeless person" who is receiving a "free meal." As far as we know, the person shown taking a photograph of Michelle Obama with a cell phone has never been identified, and his presence might be explained by any one of a number of other circumstances: he was a Miriam's Kitchen staffer or volunteer (or acquaintance of same), an onlooker who learned that the First Lady was present and simply popped in to snap a picture of her, a guest who had been slipped a cell phone by a third party in order to photograph Michelle Obama for him, etc.

A cell phone capable of capturing images is not necessarily a "$300 phone." Many much more affordable options are available, and a homeless person might very well carry a cell phone, as Scott Schenkelberg, the Executive Director of Miriam's Kitchen, observed when questioned about this photograph during an interview:

Q: Since the First Lady's visit, both your guests and your food have been the subject of some criticism within the blogosphere. For example, some critics noted that one of your guests had a cell phone and suggested that it was inappropriate to serve free food to someone who could afford a cell phone.

A: I suspect some people don't understand how inexpensive cell phones are, or how critical they are to this population. These days, you can purchase a cell phone at 7-11 for $10, then pay for minutes as you go. Our clients have a very fragile safety net. Many of them don't have shelter and are extremely vulnerable. For them, cell phones could literally be a lifeline. If they're looking for a job, the cell phone would also be incredibly important - can you even imagine trying to apply for a job without a phone number? Cell phones simply aren't luxuries anymore. If a guest can scrape together some money to purchase a cell phone, I think that's wonderful.

The assumption that a truly homeless person wouldn't have (or couldn't afford) a cell phone is also a mistaken one. As Scott Schenkelberg noted, the ranks of the homeless served by organizations such as Miriam's Kitchen include not just the long-term, chronically homeless, but also the "newly homeless": those who had recently been getting by economically until a sudden job loss or other reversal left them with nowhere to go:

"Until recently, we served mostly the chronically homeless, people who had fallen out of the economy long ago. More recently, we've been seeing more new faces, people who just fell into homelessness or other hard times. These people are generally high-functioning individuals who were hurt by the poor economy. It's very troubling to see previously self-sufficient people coming to Miriam's Kitchen in such high numbers."

Jeez, I got this as an email and just thought it was funny. True or not. I didn't expect an ongoing social commentary. That is why it was posted in Humor. Lighten up people.

TRANSLATION: "Jeez, I've always been able to mindlessly propagate these cynically created right-wing smears without being called on it. They depend on me to be too lazy to see if there's any actual truth to it, and they're never disappointed. The obvious political slander it embodies is masked by posting it as Humor. Lighten up people."