When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona reps and choosing the right one

ubiquitous

It might be worth detailing the movement options (V23 or V72) for DWs & similar case kits. I think you also mentioned that all of the 1165xx cases were too thick, which is only partially correct. Some of the early secs at 6 versions (like mine) came with nearly correctly sized middle-cases, which I referenced in the Build a Perfect Daytona thread awhile back. You might also include more details &/or links for your 16520 construction projects since these are pretty much the benchmark for frankenbuilders.

It might be worth detailing the movement options (V23 or V72) for DWs & similar case kits. I think you also mentioned that all of the 1165xx cases were too thick, which is only partially correct. Some of the early secs at 6 versions (like mine) came with nearly correctly sized middle-cases, which I referenced in the Build a Perfect Daytona thread awhile back. You might also include more details &/or links for your 16520 construction projects since these are pretty much the benchmark for frankenbuilders.

Movement options for the 6263 were listed in the building section... And the thin case variation is mentioned as well.

I'll see what I can dig up for in prog build pics for the EP's...

:)

As requested- Some old build pics of the initial stages of an El Primero based 16520:

Case and movement:

174_7498.jpg

Aftermarket dial fitted to the movement:

176_7627.jpg

Test fit to make sure everything lines up:

176_7636.jpg

176_7637.jpg

176_7637a.jpg

Date mech removal:

176_7647.jpg

Setting hands:

176_7669.jpg

176_7670.jpg

176_7671.jpg

176_7676.jpg

All together:

176_7689.jpg

Add a gen dial:

194_9473.jpg

and fin:

196_9652.jpg

Current day:

IMG_4445.jpg

:)

(4) 16520- Asian movement with faux chronograph. These watches have a standard movement inside with a dummy chronograph 'look' to appear as though it is a full functional chronograph watch. I have not seen or handled one of these so I cannot say as to whether the subdials are completely faux/glued on hands, if they act as a calendar function (day/date/month) or if the pushers simply move the hands arbitrarily around their subdials. Nice, slim case, but no functionality.

I bought a few Daytonas with Dixmont Guangzhou (DG) movements that have running seconds at 6 but the center second hand runs all the time and the dials at 3 and 9 are calendars. All the subdials are numbered correctly for a chronograph.

I took one apart and froze the 6 and 9 calendar hands so they would stay in place. Next, I ground some teeth off the sweep second pinion and cemented the sweep second pinion in place. The movement has offset seconds so it makes no difference if it the center sweep seconds run or not. I installed the dial and remounted all the hands and it worked just fine with the second hand at 6 running all the time and the center (timing hand) and 6/9 calendar hands not moving.

The running seconds at 6 is not jeweled so I put some Dri-Slide on the friction points and the watch ran fine until I traded it away.

Dri-Slide

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1247

Is the David Wong vintage Daytona case considered better quality & accuracy than for example Phong and Vietnam franken cases, when building gen modified movement frankensteiners?

As far as I can tell, all 3 use the same case. The differences are in the ancillary parts & assembly quality (or lack thereof), which varies considerably (with each leaving alot of room for improvement/correction).

As far as I can tell, all 3 use the same case. The differences are in the ancillary parts & assembly quality (or lack thereof), which varies considerably (with each leaving alot of room for improvement/correction).

Thanks for answering that.. the Phong and Vietnam cases are so expensive :(

• 4 years later...