When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ingy vs. ROO

kronos twin

Hello, all.

I'm evaluating the Ingeniuer and the Royal Oak Offshore for purchase. Most likely, I will purchase a ROO with a white dial, and an Ingy with a black dial. However, I'm weighing the pros and cons of both pieces for future reference. It's my way of knowing which will get purchased first, and in the end, which will remain the watch I give the most wrist time. This is not a rigorous analysis. In fact, it's based more on my the general impressions these watches give off, which after all, are the doorways to the intricacies of the watch itself.

Here are my thoughts on comparing the Ingy (non chrono) to the ROO (seconds at 12), both with metal bezels (no ceramics or rubber bezels) and bracelets. I know it might sound like apples and oranges, but sometimes I mix my fruits. Sue me. I'm using my experiences wearing the Gens at various watch retailers as my frame of reference for this comparison, and I've jotted these notes down over a period of 4 different visits to wear each piece.

1. Reliability -- winner -- Ingy. From what I've read, the Ingy is one of the most reliable reps out there. It has a strong movement, that if serviced properly, will last a long time. The ROO (I'm writing about the seconds at 12, but should also apply to the seconds at 9) is going to be more difficult to keep. I say that given that it's a chronograph, and I personally view chronographs as more difficult to service, modify, and maintain.

2. Durability -- winner -- draw. Different from reliability, I view the durability to refer to the basic integrity of the watch, meaning the scratch resistance, permeability, water resistance, etc. Both are build like tanks, and feel like them. However, since the crown is generally vulnerable on the Ingy, I take a point away from it in the sense that one swipe here or there spells doom in a way that the ROO doesn't have to worry about as much. On the other hand, the ROO has to contend with the chronograph features being vulnerable. Both are susceptible to scratches, and both have very solid bracelets, although the Ingy seems to have better praise on this site for its strength and finish.

3. Design -- winner -- Ingy. I struggled like hell with this, but I ultimately have to say that the Ingy wins by a very slim margin. Both have excellent finish. The ROO has an advantage in the design of the inner bezel ring as well as the rubber element underneath the bezel. However, the Ingy has an intangible quality that is due in part to its strange geometric elements on the edge. Those wrist shots that I've seen of the Ingy win me over when I would initially feel the geometry of the case was too strange. It's unlike any other watch in terms of its basic shape, and that's saying a lot. Both have great dials, but the "I" beam dial on the Ingy hits the light with more nuance than the waffle dial on a ROO. Also, no one beats IWC for its understated but elegant font. I thought Panerai was better at one time, but the crisp font of IWC wins me over lately.

4. Presence -- winner -- ROO. Despite the Ingy having a strange power over me in terms of its design, I feel much more... well, powerful when I've tried on the ROO. If the Ingy has an intangible way of sitting on the wrist and touting its design, the lack of subtlety in the ROO is what makes it such a wonderful watch. The numerals are nowhere near subtle, they beg for attention, as does the bezel. The Ingy almost draws your attention from one place to the next, while the ROO say "here I [censored] am!". On watches with metal bracelets, I've found that presence often supersedes design, and in this way, the ROO wins me over. Both weigh like they should, like quality timepieces with heft, gravitas, and vigor.

So I guess I favor the Ingy slightly, but only by a small margin. I'd like to hear your thoughts when the opportunity arises.

2 different watches. Price gap is also quite great.

1. AP is a massive watch. Ingy is more subtle. So it can depend on how big your wrists are. For the ROO, 6.75 ~ 7 inch wrists required.

2. As with all reps, both needs to be serviced upon receipt but Ingy can go longer without one thereafter. Both will outlive the owener with proper care and timely servicing.

3. The AP is more ready out of the box than the Ingy, IMHO. But with the Ingy, frankenization is easier and cheaper. You can source for gen dials, hands and even movement. You can't do anything to the AP except luming and a better strap. AP gen dial (if you can find one) will not fit a AP @12secs.

I have had the pleasure of owning a modded Ingy (Jakub AR, lello Datewheel) and recently studied the AP@12 in close quarters. The AP is an impressive watch. Excellent replication which will deceive 98.25% of the world population 99% of the time. Its gonna be my next purchase. Black themes or maybe the safari

Anyways, you won't go wrong with either purchase though I'd bet that you will eventually own both at one point in time.

Cheers

siesta181