When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attaching Jimmy Fu Bezel To Jimmy Fu Case

robideaux

i bought a jimmy fu case and bezel set and my watchmaker calls me tonight to say they do not fit together, and that the gasket is too thick. i told him that i bought these pieces together, and that jimmy told me that they should snap together with a press. is this true? perhaps there is some technique, or special sequence to fit them together properly? he sounded somewhat annoyed with me when i told him they should fit since they came together, and that the seller told me that you must use a press in the process... can anyone help?

thanks mates!

First of all, it is possible that Jimmy sent you the wrong gasket...you may want to check w/ him to be absolutely sure.

But more likely, your smith suffers from repitis, a common affliction infecting watchsmiths. Most smiths suffer from repitis to a certain degree (mine won't touch crystals--if I want a crystal removed I have to take the bezel to a different smith accross town, who wont touch any chinese movements at all). The collector must be paitient with those infected: probably 99.99% of the fake watches they've been asked to work on are $20 pieces of crap bought on some street corner. You have to explain to them the different level of reps, about CNC machines, that the chinese use real stainless and saphire and even swiss movements identical to those used by Panerai and muller. Even then, some of the more gravely ill won't believe you or won't care, gripped by an irrational predjudice against fairly priced watches or terminally paranoid--convinced you are a secret agent for Rolex checking to see if watchmakers working from the back of cheap jewelry stores will agree to work on fake watches.

In short, this guy sounds like he's got it bad--I'd move along without wasting time arguing w/ him.