When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling All Foodies

vlydog

What kind of food? I break out yelp on my phone when I am looking for a new place or when I am somewhere I haven't been before. I hasn't sent me wrong yet. I usually look for ones with a few reviews read all of the reviews and look at the ones on different extremes to see if they have some of the same things to say. If I find a place that only has one or two reviews and they are middle of the road to positive ones I look at the reviewers history to see what else they liked and didn't like. So far I have been really good at finding places off that site.

yelp.com

Giacomo's, 303 Cafe

The ones I have to go to when I am home:

Legal Seafood

Quincy Market - full of food stalls, great place to lunch.

Addis Red Sea on Tremont (Ethiopian)

Union Oyster House - big tourist attraction, but unlike most such places, this one is hasn't been ruined. Not cheap though.

Le's, a Vietnamese restaurant in Harvard square, not incredible, just good Vietnamese, awesome prices, close to home for me...

The Blue Fin - Porter Sq. Exchange, sushi, again, not incredible, but very good, and REALLY cheap - huge with Japanese students, I go there and PIG OUT on Sushi (where I am in Spain there is none, have to get a year's worth in a couple of weeks at home).

That's it for now...

Dont forget Boston Beer works.... you have to get a microbrew and some of the frenchfries (4 fries per spud)

For a little more upscale, try "Figs" on Newberry street and then walk to Armani Cafe for coffee and people watching (also on Newberry street)

Go to Copley square and just walk around. There are plenty of things to see and do (and eat) in a very small area. I never had a bad meal in little Italy... even the grocery stores have wood fired pizza ovens and sell by the slice.

A couple of other suggestions-- dont rent a car. Unless your doing side trips. Boston is the easiest town to get around on their Subway. Get a 'T-pass' (sold in 3,5,7 day passes) ride all you want. Cheap too. The subway is very, very safe (my wife used to ride from work at 11pm without worries)

If you can, get out to see the town of Salem... its worth half a day.

I could go on, and on. If you have any other questions, just PM me and I will rattle on, and on for you. Enjoy!

ATB,

-K

Some of my favorites:

Pizza: Pizzeria Regina in the North End (and only there, not the other locations)

Italian: Giacomo, Mamma Maria, Daily Catch (all North End)

Italian Pastry: Modern Pastry (best cannoli in the North End), Maria's Pastry (North End)

Fancy: Locke-Ober (Old Boston, Dress Code)

Mexican: Taqueria Mexico in Waltham (very cheap, but very good)

Brazilian Churrasceria: Midwest Grill in East Cambridge (not the best Rodizio, but the best in Boston)