When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to remove AR coating?

klocklind1

I too have been trying to remove the AR off the crystal. I have taken the crystal out and had a go with acetone with absolutely no results. I then tried glass cooktop cleaner, which did take the AR off in places. I have been trying to get rid of the remaining AR with no luck.

Not sure what to try next.... Any suggestions?

I too have been trying to remove the AR off the crystal. I have taken the crystal out and had a go with acetone with absolutely no results. I then tried glass cooktop cleaner, which did take the AR off in places. I have been trying to get rid of the remaining AR with no luck.

maybe try another brand?

I had the same problem recently with the AR on my 111H. I tried everything from acetone to Cape Cod cloth to silver/brass polish and scrub sponge, but the result was hairline scratches in the AR. It seemed that some AR are made to take a beating.

I eventually bought a Dremel and polishing compund, it took a while but that seemed to work. However I couldn't get the edges around the crystal. In the end as I had to get the watched serviced, I asked Domenico if he could remove the remaining AR as I had no idea how to remove the crystal from the case.

My advice is to try removing the crystal and go downtown on it with a Dremel and some polishing compound. Might take a while, but it seems to be the only thing that worked for me.