When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Idle watches

Packard

I don't wear my Rolex rep to work because I don't want to flash any money at work. I got a Breguet rep because I thought no one would recognize it and I liked the looks.

A few weeks back a new hire (pretty girl) saw my watch and grabbed my wrist and said, "Let me see that. 'Breguet', hmmm. Never heard of it. I'll have to Google that."

Later that day she came up to me and said, "Oh My God! That watch costs like $7,000.00...unless it is platinum...then it's like $27,000.00."

So I've not worn that rep to work lately. And I wear the Rolex rep on weekends. So the Breguet rep sits idle.

My quartz watches wear (or wear out) the same whether I wear them or not. But what of the automatics?

Will my 2 day a week wearing of the Rolex mean that it will last longer?

Will my allowing my Breguet to sit idle gum things up?

Time and regular servicing are the factors that affect wear, not if the watch is running or sitting idle.

After a movement has been fully serviced, the oils have a lifespan of about 5 years, then the movement will need servicing.

The one caveat is that once the oils have dried out or if the movement is not serviced correctly, then running the watch will cause irreversable wear and damage...obviously sitting idle is the better option if the movement is not serviced.

Regular servicing is your best investment for long trouble free life.