When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP Seconds Hand Tube oversized

redwatch

So, I sold a watch some time ago and when the buyer recieved it, the movement failed. It was a gen ETA 2824-2. I felt awful, and happened to have another gen ETA 2824-2 installed in my Omega Seamaster Pro. I offered to remove it and send it out. I received the old one back and the keyless works is buggered up on it. I plan to learn how to play around with it in the future, but in the meantime I bought another one from another member.

Movement seems to work just fine. Hour & Minute hands installed fine, but the seconds hand has been causing me some grief. First, I bent it a little bit and now that it's installed, it seems loose. It's flopping around a little bit :black_eye:

I'm guessing I need to "pinch" the hand tube down a little bit to make it fit a little tighter. I am no watchsmith, but I do have some decent tools. I am assuming I need a tool similar to this:

Picture1-5.png

However, for obvious reasons, I cannot justify spending $458 for something that I doubt I will use very often (even though I absolutely love tools!).

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I realize I could send this to the experts to repair, but if I can do it myself, I would like to give it a try.

Of course, the other option would be sourcing another seconds hand and if that's the best choice, can anyone make any recommendations on where to look?

Suggestions would greatly appreciated! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I would try to find out if the hand is not loose on the tube.

If this is the case, you can try to fix it with some epoxy glue.

If this is not the case, you can try to put a very little drop of Loctite in the hand tube.

You have to install the hand before it dries of course. The Loctite will close the cap between the hand and the pivot.

(for me it even works with chrono hands)

Cheers,

Sander