When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Input Sought With Respect To "improving" Date Wheel On 3-6-9 Configuration Navitimer

infinitime

I just received a black-dialed Navitimer which I had order from Ruby! It is a beeeautiful watch, with very intricated fashioned dial, hands, and case. The big surprise was the distinct purpleish tinge of the AR coating on the inside of the crystal... overall, a beautiful piece.

My only complaint is that given the subdial layout, with the 3-6-9 configuration, the movement needed a whole bunch of additional gears under the dial, to make the 7750 movement work properly (the conventional layout of the 7750 is a 6-9-12 subdial arrangement). As such, there is a big gap between the dial and the actual movement, to accomodate for the added gearing. This creates a "sunken" look to the date window, which is much more pronounced on the actual watch than those pictures shown by the dealer.

I am wondering if i could correct this by filling in the gap, by gluing on ANOTHER datewheel ON TOP of the existing one, in effect creating a raised date wheel, which would fill up the gap between the dial and the movement? Do you guys think this would be feasible? I would be interested in knowing if anyone has attempted this, and where I may be able to source a date wheel for the 7750?

Unfortunately impossible. The datewheel is sunken because most of it is lying under the plate and transfer wheels.

I am actively avoiding all watches that do not use the 7750 in its correct configuration (ie. 12, 6 and 9 subregisters). If everyone else does the same then the factories will have to abandon these bastard movements and build a proper 7753 rep instead.

It is a shame you didn't opt for the Navitimer with the 7750 configuration used correctly - it would be a more accurate and reliable rep and you wouldn't be getting bugged by the datewheel.

Edited by r11co

Unfortunately impossible. The datewheel is sunken because most of it is lying under the plate and transfer wheels.

I am actively avoiding all watches that do not use the 7750 in its correct configuration (ie. 12, 6 and 9 subregisters). If everyone else does the same then the factories will have to abandon these bastard movements and build a proper 7753 rep instead.

It is a shame you didn't opt for the Navitimer with the 7750 configuration used correctly - it would be a more accurate and reliable rep and you wouldn't be getting bugged by the datewheel.

Thanks for your input! I didn't realize the transfer wheels were actually over the date wheel. In hindsight, I agree with you that I should have stuck with the 12-6-9 layout model, as it would certainly be more reliable (due to less parts) and a better looking date window. Unfortunately, the only "new model" Navitimer I've seen with that configuration is the Series Speciale, which has a tacky caseback. I am sure in due course, other models will appear. I actually like the watch enough that I would consider getting another with the correct configuration! :)