When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

44mm Pilot case with 12 size E. Howard pocket watch movement

Hello RWG,

This build is an E. Howard wrist watch conversion I just completed. This conversion

however was done with a size 12 pocket watch movement. I decided to post here because

these types of forums have taught and inspired me to do projects like this. My last project

like this...

http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1851

was a bit easier, because the key work components do not extend to the edges of the base

plate needed to trim in order to fit into the case. However, sizing down the base plate on the

Howard was a bit more tricky as the key work components on this movement do almost go to

the edge. There was only a hair line of edge left to keep an inner wall of the base plate

surrounding them, and in order to preserve the fit the amount taken off is uneven around the

circumference by fractions of a millimeter.

The case back was also tricky as the wall that inserts over the movement and into the case

was too thick to go over the movement edges, and the movement thickness places it there, so

I had to trim the inner wall of the case back quite a bit (with my dremel press) while still

preserving the mineral crystal lip. Minimal thickness was left to still allow moisture and dust

resistance. Also I had to trim the outer edges of some of the bridges and refinish them to get

them to look unaltered so that they would fit into the walls of the case-back. The result is no

need for movement screws to lock the movement in. It is as snug as a snail in it's shell.

Why do all this work for this 44mm case set? The answer is I couldn't find another anywhere

that would fit a 12 size movement and still not be too big for my 6 1/2 inch wrists. Plus these

cases are around 30 bucks and it's good to practice with.

Then there was a problem with the original pocket watch stem being hardened metal and not

being able to be re-threaded even after annealing. A 6497 style stem would not work as it had

to be at least 1.74 mm thick in order for the detent to catch and lock it, so I had to make a new

one as no watch smiths near me, even the one's with lathes would make me one from scratch

because they all said it wasn't possible. The typical work around for that in the watch repair world

is to order a NOS stem and cut it to size, not re-thread. That wouldn't work either because the

threads on that stem do not go far enough in to get the crown into the right place. So I got a nail,

a couple diamond and iron files, my mini tap and die set, my dremel press and made one myself.

I also had to re-thread the crown as my first attempts at connection stripped the threads.

The new size is too big for a 6497 style stem but correct for the Howard NOS stem for trivia sake.

Needless to say, I don't have a lathe :p They are too expensive and I don't plan as of yet to

do this to a lot of watches to make the purchase cost effective.

Then there was another measurement I didn't do correctly with the dial. The distance from the

hole from the seconds to the minute-hour hole was too small when I had the dial made, so ultimately,

I had to widen the second hole.

Oh well, might make a new dial, might not, your thoughts?

Grail Shot

IMG_0997.jpg

Movement Shot

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0955-1.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

Wrist Shot

IMG_0976.jpg

Oh this is way too creepy, I just logged on after like half an year ago and now I see this. I'm doing almost the same thing currently, actually just sprayed the dial! Same movement as well (well, mine has the white gold wheels, but doesnt change much :p).

Nice watch, have fun with it! I'm not much of a fan of the dial tho its defo closer to the real thing than mine.

Got more projects planned? Hopefully NOT using one of the Keystone Howards in size 10 (hint hint :p)?

Edited by Neuuubeh

You're an inspiration man! And no I'm not doing the Howard 10s

I've got something to show you in case you couldn't see the above link.

I would have put these in Fiddies if it weren't for my six and a half inch wrists.

Oh this is way too creepy, I just logged on after like half an year ago and now I see this. I'm doing almost the same thing currently, actually just sprayed the dial! Same movement as well (well, mine has the white gold wheels, but doesnt change much :p).

Nice watch, have fun with it! I'm not much of a fan of the dial tho its defo closer to the real thing than mine.

Got more projects planned? Hopefully NOT using one of the Keystone Howards in size 10 (hint hint :p)?

You're an inspiration man! And no I'm not doing the Howard 10s

I've got something to show you in case you couldn't see the above link.

I would have put these in Fiddies if it weren't for my six and a half inch wrists.

Hehe I'm feeling flattered :p. Seriously tho, nice projects, you dont see many doing such conversions (which was always a mystery to me, but w/e). Its really nice wearing a watch like that isnt it. Both this Howard and the Illinois you have in your other thread were some of the more expensive and advanced ones from their period. Defo much better than another unitas

OK, so I'm carving my name on them 10sized Keystone howards :D. Always liked them, but kinda broke the first one I got, messed up the hairspring and couldnt straighten it.. Been afraid of them ever since :D.

I kinda like the fiddy cases, one gets used to them. 7" tho, so it doesnt look that bad (I hope). Am planing on putting a Burlington into one more ;)

Hehe I'm feeling flattered :p. Seriously tho, nice projects, you dont see many doing such conversions (which was always a mystery to me, but w/e). Its really nice wearing a watch like that isnt it. Both this Howard and the Illinois you have in your other thread were some of the more expensive and advanced ones from their period. Defo much better than another unitas

It is nice wearing it! Even if not many other people I come into contact with don't see appreciation for it (although I don't work with many watch buffs). Any time

I need a bit of inspiration I just take it off and look at the movement.

OK, so I'm carving my name on them 10sized Keystone howards :D. Always liked them, but kinda broke the first one I got, messed up the hairspring and couldnt straighten it.. Been afraid of them ever since :D.

Carving your name? Show some pics! I broke a few things on this one too, got an extra non-working one off the bay and scavenged some parts.

I kinda like the fiddy cases, one gets used to them. 7" tho, so it doesnt look that bad (I hope). Am planing on putting a Burlington into one more ;)

yeah, got some more in the works too, but don't worry, not a burlington :D

Care to show your dial idea? is it going into a pilot case as well?

Edited by nicemetal

• 4 years later...