When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grinding sound in iwc 3714

glennpenn

It sounds like your ratchet wheel is damaged and missing some teeth now.

Because you will have metal filings in the movement, the only option is a complete overhaul and replacing the defective part.

An asian ratchet wheel will be hard to find and a swiss won't fit. So it is not an easy problem.

Hi

Its as easy as it gets to remove the stem and put it back in again.

unscrew the 4 screws in the backcase of the watch. Then the back case will become loose and expose the mechanism.

Untitled.jpg

Then press the small "reset-like" button (top arrow) and while pressing it down with something, push the crown out.

To insert is just the same, insert the crown/stem while pressing the button down.

Hope it helps...

But best is if your dealer can exchange you the watch.

regards

H.

Hugo, thanks a bunch!!!

G

Hi

Its as easy as it gets to remove the stem and put it back in again.

unscrew the 4 screws in the backcase of the watch. Then the back case will become loose and expose the mechanism.

Untitled.jpg

Then press the small "reset-like" button (top arrow) and while pressing it down with something, push the crown out.

To insert is just the same, insert the crown/stem while pressing the button down.

Hope it helps...

But best is if your dealer can exchange you the watch.

regards

H.

If it is a rachet problem, it should be an easy and hopefully, cheap fix. It should give the movement a few more months of life before the secs@6 timebomb rears its ugly head.

If its a ratchet problem, that can happen when you frequently manually winding a watch with a 7750 movement the most common sintom is that the watch will show a poor power reserve.

Dont know if this is the case, but if thats the problem i am offering myself to send you one Glenn.

@nakortheblue unfortunately cheap is relative... since i dont know any watchsmith charging less than 80 euros for a service (not including parts) when a new movement is around $75...

still just try to get your dealer to change the watch...

Edited by Hugo Alves

I will pretend i didnt even hear this part...

First of all, i dont see in his post that he didnt touch it before.. it could be a case of bad assembly from the beginning, or yes could be the case of something broken inside, inclusive the ratchet wheel that you suggest.

I also did heard him saying he can normally pull the crown in and out and set the time... he said that the crown does not turn...

The stem can be fully in, even being able to set the time, but not correctly inserted...

You might be right but there is nothing like an easy check before sending the watch to be repaired. Anyway it will be probably cheaper to get a new movement than sending it up for servicing (although not the same thing of course)

And we all know that most of them sooner or later are going to die anyway... so not sure whether its really worthy to pay for a servicing unless you know it going to last...

just my 2c

Sorry mate but you are very wrong.

If the stem is not in the right place, there is no way to push the stem fully in and out and set the time.

You actually might be able to wind it without a problem though

post-9210-062904800 1284380832.jpg

Hi Sander

I never said i was right, just said it would probably be worthy to have a look before sending the watch to repair...

Dont get me wrong i am not against movement servicing, in contrary, but what is the common believe from many many watchsmiths is that the seconds at 6, are just wrongly designed and since there are no jewels in the extra gears added, the movement is faulty be design, and while there are some movements working for a long time (i am a lucky one, have one for 2 years), several other ones that i had just stopped.

I am quite sure you know it better, that many and i mean, the vast majority of the seconds at 6, will stop eventhough they are serviced, because its not a lack or oil/over oil, or dust problem, its a trackion problem combined with some really bad design.

Switching a new movement for sure will cost money, but not even a third of what a service will cost.

Now just talking about myself, in this case i would prefer to get a new movement, use it while it lasted and then if i really liked the watch, i would get a gen movement or if the movement lasted like mine is lasting, than it would be probably worthy to get it serviced... but this is one in many many movements that will last this long.

but hey, this is just what I would do.

I would take Sander advise though and check the gear. Here is another picture, although i think Sander's picture is quite clear...

3679018398_6d396465f2_o.jpg

and good luck