When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! My Mbw Wont Hack Or Allow Me Set The Time

MacDad22

My MBW 1680 Red Sub received some my mods by me last night. After re-assembly I did not set the time but had noticed while I had it unassembled that the second hand and movement would run a little bit while I was working on it and I had not experienced this on any modern subs I have worked on.

This morning I put on the watch. The short story is that I can wind the wathc the crown, set the date no problem. The crown will move into the position where it normally hacks and allows time to set, but it doesnt hack nor will it allow me to set the time on the watch.

I've searched here, RWG1, and TRC looking for research and it appears plently of people have pressed the release pin too far from usins too small of tool ( less than 1.2mm ) and screwed up the keyless mechanism, but I haven't been able to find a set of instruction on what to do.

What do I do now to fix this? Or can I without sending off the watch?

As always I appreciate the help of everyone.

Mac

If you removed the stem with the keyless works in any position other than the winding one, there is a real possibility that when you reinstalled the stem, the sliding pinion fell out of the yoke...

Try removing and reinstalling the stem - in the winding position - and see if it works, if you can only get 2 positions on the crown and not the time setting one, it's broke and needs to be taken apart to be fixed...much too difficult to try and explain, and not a good idea as a first teardown of a movement as the keyless works is quite complex.

RG

If you removed the stem with the keyless works in any position other than the winding one, there is a real possibility that when you reinstalled the stem, the sliding pinion fell out of the yoke...

Try removing and reinstalling the stem - in the winding position - and see if it works, if you can only get 2 positions on the crown and not the time setting one, it's broke and needs to be taken apart to be fixed...much too difficult to try and explain, and not a good idea as a first teardown of a movement as the keyless works is quite complex.

RG

It is for these sort of reasons that I will punt from now on!! No more messed up keyless works for me!

And if it makes you feel any better...happened to me just the other day on a MBW as well...just after a service and casing the movement...and I have done this hundreds of times...but it can happen to anyone...

RG

I screwed up the keyless works on my 2836 lv and then screwed up the movement trying to fix... but slowly I've been getting it back to working, using it as a learning platform.