When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Places to buy watches in Caribbean?

Josetann

Going on a Caribbean cruise in September (as long as our son is born near his due date, too early and it'll throw off our plans). Specifically, the ports we'll hit are St. admin, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, and maybe St. Kitts (depends on whether we can go on the 10 or 11-night cruise). I'd like to know what kind of places to hit up to get some good deals, whether on reps or genuine. I know I won't get the great $20 99% accurate kinda deals, but anything comparable to the prices here would be good (I'd love to see the watch in person, and know that it actually works before getting it).

If you have info on any other Caribbean ports, please post about them too. Never know, our current plans may change, and we'll probably cruise at a later date too. As far as my own experience, on the last cruise the cheapest genuine prices seemed to be in Jamaica. Prices at Grand Cayman were higher, haggling didn't help, but we were able to provide proof of the lower prices in Jamaica and then they matched. I do remember getting two plain Skagen watches (his and her set) for $150, and the ESQ was maybe $130? I can't remember, but I can post pics if you want.

You are better off buying reps from dealers on this forum.

As for Gens, the Carribean is as good a place to troll as any. Tax and import issues loom. Rep or gen, buy no more than one watch and be wearing it when you return home.

I SPEND THE WINTER IN ST admin USVI. THERE ARE NO LONGER GREAT DEALS ON THIS ISLAND. 10-20% OFF ON ROLEX MY AD IN NEW YORK GIVES ME 20% OFF AND SENDS IT TO MY DAUGHTER IN CT TO SAVE THE SALES TAX.

LIQUER PRICES ARE BEST IN ST MARTAN

DESIGNER ITEMS BAGS WLLETS BELTS IN ST MARTAN FRENCH SIDE

ST admin GOLD AND DIAMONDS AT IMPERIAL JEWELRY SEE CHARLIE OR KUCKEY JEWELRY SEE PASHA GOOD BUYS FOR QUALITY GOODS.

WATCHES OR AN IMPILSE BUY IN THE ISLANDS NO REAL DEALS UNLESS YOU FIND OLD STOCK CLOSEOUTS EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO LNOW MORE

Just went on a cruise a couple weeks ago with stops at St. Maarten, Barbados and Martinique. I did not see anything in Martinique, but it was our last stop and we woke up late and did not have much time there. We hit Barbados on a Sunday so all the downtown stores were closed; all we saw were the shops at the Terminal, which did have two stores with some upper swiss brands, but nothing major. St. Maarten had damn near everything under the sun. Best place for selection hands down. Price? IMHO nothing special. Most brands were offered at 10-20% off retail, which was not much better than prices I could get locally (for the brands I can get locally). Seiko and Citizen were offered at deeper discounts (50-60%). The reps on St. Maarten that I saw were of Canal St. quality at twice the price; poor, cheap knock-offs.

So, in short I don't know that this post will be much help. :p But there you have it.

I SPEND THE WINTER IN ST admin USVI. THERE ARE NO LONGER GREAT DEALS ON THIS ISLAND. 10-20% OFF ON ROLEX MY AD IN NEW YORK GIVES ME 20% OFF AND SENDS IT TO MY DAUGHTER IN CT TO SAVE THE SALES TAX.

LIQUER PRICES ARE BEST IN ST MARTAN

DESIGNER ITEMS BAGS WLLETS BELTS IN ST MARTAN FRENCH SIDE

ST admin GOLD AND DIAMONDS AT IMPERIAL JEWELRY SEE CHARLIE OR KUCKEY JEWELRY SEE PASHA GOOD BUYS FOR QUALITY GOODS.

WATCHES OR AN IMPILSE BUY IN THE ISLANDS NO REAL DEALS UNLESS YOU FIND OLD STOCK CLOSEOUTS EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO LNOW MORE

Well, we're not that much into liquor, but to be honest I think we pretty maxxed out our allowance the past two cruises (first was just with me and my wife, second was us and my aunt who doesn't drink...but we used her allowance too). Prices are just too cheap! Large bottle of Absolut for around $10, cheap cheap cheap! We mainly give it all away though.

I was hoping we'd find some good watch deals, but sounds like it ain't gonna happen. I know you can get lucky with jewelry, but that's another thing we're not into much (my wife does like the occassional earring set, that's about it).

It's probably all for the best though, I have an idea that if I can get it to work, would require the watch being bought before the cruise. It'll be tricky, have to get the timing right...we'll see...I'll make a separate post for that.

Lucky bastard!

You're telling me! I have to actually talk her into buying stuff for herself. The two Skagen watches I spoke of above...well she wanted the one, but the $90 wasn't worth it...but if I wanted one and we could get two for $150, then it was ok. Personally, I don't care for it, but she likes it, so there you go. I think her biggest purchase was $350 or so for some diamond earrings (if memory serves me, they're 1/2 carat each, so 1 carat total, but I really don't pay that close attention).

I thought she was just trying to be nice after we got engaged and were shopping for her ring (yes, I proposed without a ring, I really didn't want to pick the wrong one). She wanted something small, nothing gawdy. But she's still like that today. Go figure.

Another vote for St. Marteen having pretty much everything under the sun.

I've bought two gens there in the past few years: Longines and Tissot. I was able to get 30% off retail, which is nothing spectacular, but a good deal none the less.

I too am going back this fall and while I probably won't buy any watches...liquor and cigars is another story. ;)