When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building The Perfect Pam 63... Only 2 Steps Left

TK471

Well, I've got the best starting platform, anyway. I've got the 2893 movement and 1) an upgraded Palp crown on the way; 2) an upgraded cyclops sapphire crystal on the way from Davidsen.

Which leaves me with the one remaining piece. The ever-elusive DATEWHEEL. I've searched the site and elsewhere, and it looks like Finepics is going to be working on some, but not sure when/if those datewheels will be available for purchase. I guess I may just not be following the threads, though. It's possible they're on the way soon. Does anyone know?

I'd like to get all the work done at the same time, installation of all new parts, relume, etc. I LOVE this watch and don't like being without it for months on end, so it's going nowhere until all the pieces are in place.

Thanks in advance.

Z.

Well, I've got the best starting platform, anyway. I've got the 2893 movement and 1) an upgraded Palp crown on the way; 2) an upgraded cyclops sapphire crystal on the way from Davidsen.

Which leaves me with the one remaining piece. The ever-elusive DATEWHEEL. I've searched the site and elsewhere, and it looks like Finepics is going to be working on some, but not sure when/if those datewheels will be available for purchase. I guess I may just not be following the threads, though. It's possible they're on the way soon. Does anyone know?

I'd like to get all the work done at the same time, installation of all new parts, relume, etc. I LOVE this watch and don't like being without it for months on end, so it's going nowhere until all the pieces are in place.

Thanks in advance.

Z.

Plus the hands, pam 063 are actually for 029 and are about 1.5 mm too long.

I am making the datewheels but they will be a little while yet. Davidsens hands are incorrect in length and the GMT hand has a pointer that is too big. I have told him about this but it seems that they will not be changed so really the only way to get them perfect is to spend the $200 on the gen hands!!!

Well, given all that, I will settle for correct date wheel font (thanks for the heads up, Finepics), better crown, better cyclops and better lume.

The hands will have to remain what they are -- a replica (approximation) of the original. BOUGHT THE GEN HANDS OFF THE BAY!! The watch is running wonderfully, and hasn't left my wrist since I bought it. That makes me happy with it, which makes it good enough.

Thanks for the replies I have received.

• 1 month later...

Well, the project continues.

The Zigmeister has just finished reluming and installing the Palp crown. I purchased genuine hands off the 'bay for the proper length.

Left: 1. date wheel (which should be available any time now)

2. cyclops

Can anyone point me in the direction of the cyclops project on the board?

Thanks.

Pictures coming as soon as I get it back from Rob.

EDIT -- nevermind... I think I found it.

I have a 2893 029 from EL and initially I thought that the dial and hands were inaccurate (hands too long and dial layout too wide) because the reference pics on the Paneristi forum(s) showed a different version. The 029 were first produced in the A series with 'T' dials and then in the B series with 'L' dials and the 2 versions have totally different layouts with the L dial having the digits and markers much closer to the outside of the dial and longer hands to suit. The rep version that I have is the B series with a correct L dial and longer hands but I have seen many references to the rep being inaccurate when it is simply being compared to the earlier version of the watch.

I have got Palp's crown so I need to get the crystal and I'll wait for the datewheel before I get the mods carried out.

I need to reply to this post, because we share the same deep love for the gorgeous 063.

I'm also doing all I can to make it as better as possible.

Just to don't let you feel alone TK471, I also purchased the gen hands several months a go, from Adm-co.

Now I just got a gen strap from the Panerai boutique here in Florence.

I'm waiting to receive the new powerful cyclops and the new crown from Tommy.

The dial is out for re lume.

In the end it's going to cost a fortune, but this is what we are here for..., or not? :p

The cyclops size on this model, for what I know is 6mm, as it was made before year 2000.

After 2000, the cyclops size has been increased little by little until 7mm on the recent models.

I will show pics of mine too, after it will be ready, hopefully in a week, or so. :wub:

Edited by lello

I need to reply to this post, because we share the same deep love for the gorgeous 063.

I'm also doing all I can to make it as better as possible.

Just to don't let you feel alone TK471, I also purchased the gen hands several months a go, from Adm-co.

Now I just got a gen strap from the Panerai boutique here in Florence.

I'm waiting to receive the new powerful cyclops and the new crown from Tommy.

The dial is out for re lume.

In the end it's going to cost a fortune, but this is what we are here for..., or not? :p

The cyclops size on this model, for what I know is 6mm, as it was made before year 2000.

After 2000, the cyclops size has been increased little by little until 7mm on the recent models.

I will show pics of mine too, after it will be ready, hopefully in a week, or so. :wub:

That's where I got my gen hands. Have you installed them yet?

As for the cyclops, I can't wait. It will be that final piece.

Also, unless Davidsen has new crystals - the upgraded ones he is selling still have the wrong cyclops size. You have to get one of the upgraded ones from the recent board project.

Not the wrong size, but DEFINITELY the wrong magnification. Rob wouldn't even install it saying that it didn't look good.

I have put my name in the hat to buy a cyclops, it's a VERY important part of this upgrade.

I have a 2893 029 from EL and initially I thought that the dial and hands were inaccurate (hands too long and dial layout too wide) because the reference pics on the Paneristi forum(s) showed a different version. The 029 were first produced in the A series with 'T' dials and then in the B series with 'L' dials and the 2 versions have totally different layouts with the L dial having the digits and markers much closer to the outside of the dial and longer hands to suit. The rep version that I have is the B series with a correct L dial and longer hands but I have seen many references to the rep being inaccurate when it is simply being compared to the earlier version of the watch.

I have got Palp's crown so I need to get the crystal and I'll wait for the datewheel before I get the mods carried out.

Thanks for the great post!! I have the same watch from EL and was under the same impression, i.e. hands to long and dial too wide. Eventually I will likely have the same mods done along with superlume. Should make a big difference.

That's where I got my gen hands. Have you installed them yet?

As for the cyclops, I can't wait. It will be that final piece.

Sure, I installed immediately after I bought them, almost a year a go.

They fit perfectly and then you need sunglasses for the Tritium glow. B)

Which strap are you going to put there?

Did you see my post where I'm showing the gen strap I bought? ^_^

Edited by lello

Sure, I installed immediately after I bought them, almost a year a go.

They fit perfectly and then you need sunglasses for the Tritium glow. B)

Which strap are you going to put there?

Did you see my post where I'm showing the gen strap I bought? ^_^

I have about 15 straps in my collection, but only about 5 of them are of real quality. I've got a genuine alligator, two europelli and a couple DON straps that are great. I change straps daily, so it's hard to say which will go on it. I saw your post on the gen strap -- great pick-up!

I can't wait for those hands. I wondered whether they were actually genuine or whether the guy was peddling rep stuff as gen. I'm most excited that the length will be correct. That's one obvious sign of the rep.

I'm sending you an email about something else, so check that.