When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 Project Update

alfe

To anyone who cares - an update on my first Josh based 1655 project originally posted a few weeks back. Might be useful if anyone is mad enough to mod a 1655!

CG's

I have added to this by re-trimming CG's to be more accurate although pin point accuracy is difficult on this without compromising lug width. CG's on the gen 1655 are wider and thicker than the Sub and curve down into the lugs to form the apex at 4 and 8 on the bezel either side of the crown. Big lesson learnt here as I made the curve too shallow on my first attempt and on the second attempt carved the apex a little short of the 4 on the bezel. I think it just passes muster but could be better. Josh doesn't sell a case on its own so I may have to get a $98 1655 for the case and try again, or perhaps I can live with this one.

There is a further complication - if you carve the CG's so that they swoop down to hit the 4 and 8 on the bezel as on the gen, you also have to shave some off the rest of the lug right up to the end of the lug to achieve the right profile which makes the lugs thinner than their counterparts on the other side of the watch, it's very slight and hardly noticeable really.

GMT hand.

Notoriously hard to set as true GMT hand but I understand it wasn't meant to on the gen. I would say forget about being able to set it as a GMT hand and just use it (as it was used on the gen) as a hand that denotes the 24 hour clock on the bezel.

Colour - had much trouble finding the correct colour orange. I started with Humbrol Enamel Gloss 69 which was close but not close enough. Some old 1655 dials have faded GMT hands which are very weak Canary yellow which you just can't get easily or mix (yellow can't be mixed). However, some have a sort of flourescent red orange which I got close to by mixing some acrylics and applying over the original 69 yellow. Looks OK at arm distance and much closer to gen than red or yellow. Careful not to paint this too much or it will snag on the hour hand.

Aging the dial markings.

I discovered that using paint and thin brush is a bad idea as the aging looks purposely brushed on. I think the secret is not to overdo it and use a very small sponge dipped in weak muddy coloured paint. If the sponge is cut very thin and dipped in the water based paint and then pressed lightly onto the marking it looks more authentic. Careful not to press the sponge onto the black area on the dial because even water based paint wont wash off and it looks a mess.

Bracelet Alteration

The Oyster Band end link (the links that the springbar goes through) need to be replaced to be authentic as the Josh has a pressed endlink and the gen a smooth folded one. These are very hard too find on the bay and expensive when they do crop up. Then I had some luck - I was walking in town and noticed that many cheap market stall watches have folded oyster link bracelets and most of the men's size ones have links the same width and construction as the gen. So I bought a $5 quartz watch and removed the end links and put on the Josh bracelet - perfect match and stainless. Threw the quartz watch away.

Materials and Tools

Sternkreutz 25 116 302 Crystal from Cousins UK - $6

Diamond Jewellers Files Set - ebay $6

Watch Desk Clamp - ebay $10

Acrylic Poster Paint and thin sponge - ebay $5

Dremel Equivalent Drill - ebay $10

400 and 600 wet and dry

1.2 mm screwdriver to remove stem - ebay $5

1.5mm screwdriver to remove case clamps - ebay $5

Very Cheap Market Watch for Oyster Band Parts - $5

No 5 29.50 Case Back remover and Die for Rolex - $8

Tweezers (for picking up small case clamps etc.

Razor with holding edge to get bezel off

Heavy Plastic Pipe to force bezel on

Humbrol Black Gloss for Bezel Etching Infill - $4

You will see one of the pics is the first attempt (yellow GMT hand) and the others with the orange GMT hand are the second.

Hope this is of some use.

post-24442-0-90079800-1309962314.jpg

post-24442-0-38235500-1309962351.jpg

post-24442-0-64653800-1309962476.jpg

post-24442-0-11477900-1309962526.jpg

Casework looks pretty good. Love the $5 quartz watch as a donor for the endlinks! They look really good!!!

I gotta say though, I think you went a little overboard on the GMT hand paint job! Just my opinion, but I think it's overdone. Dial aging looks nice too. I do agree that you need to work a little more on the cg's as well. They are still a little too fat to me.

Overall, nicely done! It's coming along nicely