When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Movement for a Vintage PAM with Rolex Dial Rep

JimmyGee

I bought a Vintage PAM with a Rolex Dial for $128.00 from a Trusted Dealer. Received it, tested it and all was OK. Some months later I wore it for 6 days straight and the Crown & Stem Fell Out. Have written 5 email, but non have been answered. Not Trusted Dealer behaviour, I am sure? It has an A6497 Movement. Been having a bit of a bad run with Crowns and Stems falling off these A6497 Movements lately. They used to be my favourites, but not any more. I live in Europe and I don't want to pay silly money to have a Crown and Stem put back into and watch. It would be cheaper to buy a new one but then what guarantees do I have from a Trusted Dealer that doesn't answer 5 email? What to do? I think it would be better if the A6497 Manual Movement was binned (even if it might work) and since I have NO hope of buying a Gen 1938 (or whatever), I thought it best to ask if this A6497 Movement can be replaced with a Gen Swiss Movement? I guess that there shouldn't be a problem with size difference since one is supposed to be a clone of the other? Not having any issues with Automatic movements as I find there is less wear and tear. Even A21J are lasting longer than these Asian A6497 and would gladly swap one over if it were possible as I don't really care if the Gen one came out with a Manual Movement only. All I want is a watch that I can wear for more than 6 days before the Cheap Rubbish Movement Falls Apart after 6 winds = 6 days wear. If I put in a A21J and wear it for a month, and the crown falls off after 6 winds at least I would have got 6 months wear and not darn 6 days?

So, cutting to the Chase:

Can the A6497 be replaced with a Swiss A6497? (By whom, and how much would it cost?)

or

Can the A6497 Movement be replaced by any Automatic Movement? (By whom, and how much would it cost?)

Thank you. (I stand up for more quality even if it is a Rep. Yes I know it's a Rep, but I should get more than 6 days wear for $128.00?

Otherwise it will be cheaper to fly from London to New York and but a heap of junk Reps (is it Cannal Street?) and I bet most will last more than 6 days?