When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Po Rep. Was Mistaken For The Real Deal.

niller

I agree completely. The number of posts of this nature indicates there are a lot of people who seem to think that it's some kind of incredible accomplishment to not get called out. You SHOULDN'T be called out. If you pay $200-300 for a rep and it can't pass a casual look-over 90% of the time then that's a pretty lousy replica. Also, most people simply aren't on guard regarding fake watches other than Rolexes. Factor in also that people, especially salespeople, have nothing to gain by antagonizing a stranger. If you are not wearing something like a gaudy TT Daytona, chances are 1) people can't detect your fake 2) never even try and 3) wouldn't throw it in your face even if they could.

Also, I know this isn't a popular viewpoint on this board but I have to say it anyway. Being a rep collector or a WIS doesn't mean jack, good or bad. It doesn't make you handsomer, classier, smarter, or more worthy of respect than anyone else. It's just something you're into, like fantasy sports or stamp collecting. I don't know why it gives people such a superiority complex. Specifically, a lot of members talk like every luxury watch salesperson has to be a walking reference book on every watch of every make ever made, or else they are utterly beneath contempt. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, we've all seen dozens of posts disparaging "stupid" salespeople.

Let it rest, they're just people doing a job. Why should they be expected to possess more knowledge than the job requires? A lot of them care and know a lot, a lot of them are in it just for the paycheck. Some of them are obnoxious jerks, but most of them just want to make a few bucks with minimum drama, go home and watch TV and drink a beer. That's true in every walk of life and every profession and if you weren't a WIS you'd think nothing of it. No doubt those people care about something and know more about it than you do, would you want them to think that makes you a joke? It reminds me of Star Trek geeks who belittle the actors who were actually in the movies because they don't know as much about Star Trek esoterica as they do. Yeah, that is a LOT cooler.

Be happy you have a hobby you like, let it go at that. Being into reps or knowing about watches doesn't give you the right to disrespect anybody for the mere sin of being unexceptional at what they do.

Well I only thought it was funny, don´t get your panties in a twist over it. I didn´t flash the PO i was just wearing is.. Pehaps i am misreading you but there is definately no need to get all agressive.... gees...

Well I only thought it was funny, don´t get your panties in a twist over it. I didn´t flash the PO i was just wearing is.. Pehaps i am misreading you but there is definately no need to get all agressive.... gees...

Hey, don't take it personally. A "Nooblashing" is just par for the course around here. Stick around. Just remember the collectors here are pretty serious. I consider these watches remarkable pieces of watch art in their own right in addition to being great, and in some cases mind blowing, recreations of the real thing. Sometimes I have to pinch myself about what I think is a major "get over" when one of these is delivered. The afore mentioned Tag Link Chrono is virtually indistinguishable from a genuine in a side by side. I have done it with my jeweler and she was simply blown away. This is a pretty tough lady to impress by the way. As I said, she virtually said to her staff "We need to be aware of this watch and I don't want anyone buying or trading for one without talking to me first". What that filled me with was tremendous satisfaction that I had, for about $300, bought a watch that rivaled the $1500 genuine for appearance and feel, the latter being a tough quality to reproduce. Call me crazy, but I feel on some level like I actually own a Tag Link Chrono. I recently bought a white dial IWC GST Chrono and it is in the same class of replica. I look at it and I see a gorgeous watch first and a replica of a high end brand second. I guess what I'm saying is that the passion for me lies not only in the reproduction, but in the quality and craftsmanship in these high end watches in and of themselves. I think this is the fuel for most of the passion here. I also think that's why the "Hey, fooled 'em. Isn't that cool" doesn't go over well.

Hey, don't take it personally. A "Nooblashing" is just par for the course around here. Stick around. Just remember the collectors here are pretty serious. I consider these watches remarkable pieces of watch art in their own right in addition to being great, and in some cases mind blowing, recreations of the real thing. Sometimes I have to pinch myself about what I think is a major "get over" when one of these is delivered. The afore mentioned Tag Link Chrono is virtually indistinguishable from a genuine in a side by side. I have done it with my jeweler and she was simply blown away. This is a pretty tough lady to impress by the way. As I said, she virtually said to her staff "We need to be aware of this watch and I don't want anyone buying or trading for one without talking to me first". What that filled me with was tremendous satisfaction that I had, for about $300, bought a watch that rivaled the $1500 genuine for appearance and feel, the latter being a tough quality to reproduce. Call me crazy, but I feel on some level like I actually own a Tag Link Chrono. I recently bought a white dial IWC GST Chrono and it is in the same class of replica. I look at it and I see a gorgeous watch first and a replica of a high end brand second. I guess what I'm saying is that the passion for me lies not only in the reproduction, but in the quality and craftsmanship in these high end watches in and of themselves. I think this is the fuel for most of the passion here. I also think that's why the "Hey, fooled 'em. Isn't that cool" doesn't go over well.

"nooblashing".... hm interesting. Perhaps you are right... i am as you are impressed, with the workmanship and that is actually the best part, but i simply do not accept it when i am lashed at. So this was perhaps more a matter of my poor english skills rather than a setense to be taken litterally.

Neither your post (and certainly not Nanuk's) was the sole basis for my rant. Nanuk's situation in particular, where dealers incorrectly point out a "flaw" does not even fall into the category of bashing salespeople, it just reminded me of the many posts that do. I really should have made that more clear and I apologize for getting on the soap box.

Nevertheless, there are literally dozens of "I fooled somebody I'm so psyched" posts, and "salespeople (oh let's not forget, gen owners) are so dumb let's pat ourselves on the back" posts, and to me they rank up there with "who has the best sub" in terms of played out subjects. It's like a high school kid posting "hey I drank some alcohol and it had an intoxicating effect and I had the best time at the party!" Really, you don't say. But hey, you were just trying to share, I said my piece on this subject in general, so let's go back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Edited by kanerich