When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Got Rolex Vintage Red Submariner & Patek Philippe 24h Womens

MJP

The vintage Submariner's yellowish lume--is that supposed to mimic aged lume, or were they that color new? What about the bezel not clicking, is that like the gen? What are some good upgrades I can get for this model?

Vintage Red Submariner

All in all, I recommend this model, it's really nice. So is the Patek 24h with white with diamonds.

cannot really tell about the lume from the photos i have a gen vintage no date and it is sort of antique.. I have seen others with a more yellowish hue however. Mine also does not click.

MJP, the vintage rollie sport models with the acrylic crystal do not click. There should be a thin metal washer underneath the bezel which as acts sort of a spring & provides friction. It should turn in both directions.

With regard to the dial marker color or patina, it can vary quite a bit. The original new tritium dials were an off white. Given mother time, exposure to various temps, humidity and sun light, the patina of a 30 year old dial can be almost anything. I've seen brownish, yellowish and the very well kept examples, have an ivory patina.

Glad that you like your new toys. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sure, you can get it lumed & change the color/finish of the markers but the gen dial would have lost all luminosity by now. If you check out the photo gallery, you should find many examples of what folks have done with their 1680 and 1665 dials.

The little white bump was a pearl (treated with tritium, I believe) encased in an acrylic surround. Gen vintage inserts are very tough to find and would cost as much as your rep, if not more.

BTW, since you asked for mod suggestions, a new OEM or generic Tropic 127 would be a nice improvement on this guy. I've read they can fit some of the non-MBW cases but not sure which ones.

Glad to be of help. :)