When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie Opens His First Watch (el Yachtmaster)!

Starbug

Firstly, I don't have any pics, so you guys will need to take my word for it :Jumpy:

After wearing (and enjoying) my new YM for a few weeks I noticed it was running slightly fast. About +18 secs per day. Reading through the forum I saw that this was well within acceptable levels, and I agreed!

However, this provided the perfect reason to get more into this new hobby.. So I did some searching on altering the time on mechanical watches and found that it's called "regulating".. Ok!.. So after some very helpful posts and pic descriptions I had some idea of how to do it..

First task was to get the caseback off.. I tried the masking tape ball, but that didn't work.. So after some further searching I discovered rubber might work (knew those rubber gloves in the cupboard would come in handy one day! :p )..

The rubber glove worked a treat, and I witnessed my first ever movement in action.. very tiny, and very complex looking :blink:

First thing I discovered was that the smallest screwdriver I found was way too big.. Back to the forum for some more tips on sizes.. 1 helpful post later, and I was on my way (ordering some precision screwdrivers)..

Anyway.. this post is getting long winded now, so I'll get to the point.

The new screwdriver worked perfectly and I turned the little screw next to the +/- on the movement. It was 18 secs, so I turned it a few notches and then re-assembled, and set to the exact time.

That was 24 hours ago, so I remeasured against the GMT online clock... Perhaps I was lucky, but after 24 hours I am now 0.5 seconds slow... :3a:

I'm loving this hobby!!

Now I need to get even more reps to regulate, and mess around with!

Have a good weekend, fellow RWG'ers