When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinion on Royal Oak GP rose gold version

http://puretime.co/product/royal-oak-offshore-ultimate-grand-prix-rose-gold/

Making a move to AP watches (currently watches i have atm is the UPO, Rolex Sub/C Sub, Breitling Steelfish).

The AP above struck to me as being a amazingly unique watch, but im skeptical of the flaws on this watch. What are your opinions on it? Is it really worth the $588 price tag? (is it that accurate of a rep? for 588 i can pretty much get a BK modded sub for example)

What is cool about this watch is that there now are true carbon parts available. However you will never be able to make the movement look like gen and it is a clear caseback. There are the usual lack of offset pushers, date depth and overall case thickness issues but that is true with every AP seconds at 12 chrono. Also bear in mind it is 44mm versus the standard 42mm Offshore. having said all that it is a gorgeous watch. :)

Yeah, the movement and clearcase back certainly is a easy tell. Nothing can be done about that haha. The carbon parts look close enough to gen doesnt it?

However, i was more unclear about the actual appearance of the face of the watch. Is it pretty much in line with the gen? Not too sure what you mean by differences in offset pushers and date depth.

It is a larger than normal offshore i understand - and seems like 44mm is as per actual.

It is the right overall dimension. And the Grand Prix's are a special edition and retail at 45k in gold or higher in platnum. The date and the offset pushers relates to the fact that the gen uses a chrono module on top of a base movement. As a result the crown sits below the pushers. The 7750's are a unified movement so the pushers and crown line up. On the date it is simply that the date is placed a little differently on a 7750 rather than on the gen or equivalent LWO 283 ETA movement. Both the gen and the LWO 283 use the same DD chrono module. The ETA version uses a 2892 as the base.

Yeah, the movement and clearcase back certainly is a easy tell. Nothing can be done about that haha. The carbon parts look close enough to gen doesnt it?

However, i was more unclear about the actual appearance of the face of the watch. Is it pretty much in line with the gen? Not too sure what you mean by differences in offset pushers and date depth.

It is a larger than normal offshore i understand - and seems like 44mm is as per actual.

It is the right overall dimension. And the Grand Prix's are a special edition and retail at 45k in gold or higher in platnum. The date and the offset pushers relates to the fact that the gen uses a chrono module on top of a base movement. As a result the crown sits below the pushers. The 7750's are a unified movement so the pushers and crown line up. On the date it is simply that the date is placed a little differently on a 7750 rather than on the gen or equivalent LWO 283 ETA movement. Both the gen and the LWO 283 use the same DD chrono module. The ETA version uses a 2892 as the base.

1. The fake carbon parts that come stock on the watch are atrocious. There is only one aftermarket option available and the parts are an extra $200+.

2. The difference in the Pushers and DW is a question of millimeters. The pushers are mounted flush on the rep when on the gen the crown position is much lower. The DW on the gen has a sunken in effect due to the unorthodox movement. This is why the gen needs a mag cyclops on the dial. The DW looks very deep inside the watch. The Rep is also thicker by 2-3mm. These are tells that most likely will never go away.

3. The color on the dial, specifically the subdials on the Grand Prix are visibly off a few shades.

4. The weight of the watch is far, far off from the gen. The difference would be about $2 worth of U.S. quarters in your hand.

5. A gen AP ROO hasn't used a LWO 283 in years, they are all in-house now. Movement looks far from the gen.

6. The Grand Prix series is listed as 42mm but wears a lot more like 44mm.

If you care about having a 95%-99% close rep in terms of accuracy, look elsewhere.

If you want a show stopper and don't care about the tells then highly consider it.

The AP RG Rubberclad is also another stunning AP I can recommend for your consideration. It also has a closed caseback.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

1. The fake carbon parts that come stock on the watch are atrocious. There is only one aftermarket option available and the parts are an extra $200+.

2. The difference in the Pushers and DW is a question of millimeters. The pushers are mounted flush on the rep when on the gen the crown position is much lower. The DW on the gen has a sunken in effect due to the unorthodox movement. This is why the gen needs a mag cyclops on the dial. The DW looks very deep inside the watch. The Rep is also thicker by 2-3mm. These are tells that most likely will never go away.

3. The color on the dial, specifically the subdials on the Grand Prix are visibly off a few shades.

4. The weight of the watch is far, far off from the gen. The difference would be about $2 worth of U.S. quarters in your hand.

5. A gen AP ROO hasn't used a LWO 283 in years, they are all in-house now. Movement looks far from the gen.

6. The Grand Prix series is listed as 42mm but wears a lot more like 44mm.

If you care about having a 95%-99% close rep in terms of accuracy, look elsewhere.

If you want a show stopper and don't care about the tells then highly consider it.

The AP RG Rubberclad is also another stunning AP I can recommend for your consideration. It also has a closed caseback.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I noticed there was also a $800 version that would include the carbon parts. That would solve the issue in No.1 i presume? If No.2 is a issue on all APs then thats not a issue to me - a few millimetres here and there - no one will be able to tell the difference i dont think unless they have a gen next to them.

No.6 doesnt seem like an issue either, as puretime has it listed as 44mm. which matches gen specs?

No.5 i presumed that was the case - i dont expect the hundred dollar movement in the rep to match the complexity of a 45k watch.

Now my worry is no.4. cause $2 worth of quarters is a fair bit. And i presume the gen is the heavier one? Another concern is on No.3 - im looking at the pictures side by side and they look close to spot on?

I noticed there was also a $800 version that would include the carbon parts. That would solve the issue in No.1 i presume? If No.2 is a issue on all APs then thats not a issue to me -

No.5 i presumed that was the case - i dont expect the hundred dollar movement in the rep to match the complexity of a 45k watch.

Now my worry is no.4. cause $2 worth of quarters is a fair bit. And i presume the gen is the heavier one? Another concern is on No.3 - im looking at the pictures side by side and they look close to spot on?

1. Yes that Puretime $800 version comes with the specialty parts installed.

2. Not an issue on ALL APs, Just Royal Oak Offshore Chronographs. Most notably the V3 AP Diver lacks all these flaws because obviously it is not a Chronograph.

3. I don'texpect to have a 7750 look like a AP cal. 3126/3840 either. Hence why I prefer my APs with closed casebacks.

4. Yes the Gen is much much heavier than the rep. Anyone familiar with gold or precious metals can quickly make that distinction in the hand. Make sure not to take it off :)

5. Rest assured the subdials are off. With all the previous mentioned tells though not really a big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2