When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Daytona question

jj69

I always wanted to build one of these, but I'm scared off by the cost of the component parts.  I don't quite understand the need to use gen Rolex center, chrono, cannon pinion, minute, and hour wheels. 

My undrestanding is that the the primary reason behind use of the gen Rolex wheels is that the gen Rolex hands are a different size than the ones on thestock Zenith El Primero 400 movement.  Apparently, the sizes are very different, and the only way to get a clean looking install is to use the gen Rolex wheels.  However is that the ONLY reason?  Does use of all these gen parts add something else to the build (like adding a working hack mechanism for example)? 

It seems foolish to me to buy these gen parts at the exhorbitant prices people are charging just to acommodate the (also very expensive) gen hands. 

Why not just use rep hands on the Zenith movement, save yourself a whole lot of money, and be done with it? 

There are plenty of "aftermarket" Daytona hands out there, but I'm not quite sure of the hand sizes available.  Perhaps they're all sized for the 7750 movement?  Are the hand sizes for the El Primero and 7750 movements wildly different? 

Okay, but is that the ONLY reason to hunt down those very expensive parts? 

Do they add the hack feature to the movement?  Can one build a Franken Daytona with rep hands and achieve the same functionality? 

Does Phong or anyone make rep hands to fit the stock Zenith EP? 

This is what we call a "passion" some of is out there like the thrill of the hunt for that certain part, or making sure the movement, case, dial are perfect. It's a hobby and some guys are hardcore frankenstiners and some just don't get it, either way in the end you have a great piece frank or not.

I did a little research in the archives and I see that one of the reasons to add some gen parts to the EP movement is to remove the second "date set" position when pulling the crown. 

I see ND Trading sells gen 16520 dials with a set of hands included.  I assume the hands are rep.  Anyone know if the hands are sized to fit the Rolex caliber 4020 or the EP 400?