When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16800 Build Quest

txrob779

Dangit, now I am gonna have to decide where to go from here....hmm

That's a no brainer Rob.

FIRST you or Mitch can email me on where to find that same 93150 and end pieces.

(dammit I sold both pairs of gen 593 ends I had)

That's a very nice end link fit.....I found on my 16800 the TC v2 SEL fit it like a gen so I went with it.

I've got a couple TC v3 Bracelets too but they'll need to be honed down a bit....a tad too wide is better than a tad to narrow.

Then you need to go after that MkII dial....it's a Beauty if you're wanting the matte finish non WG ringed markers.

But you've got Fidhle, Ephry and Mitch (and JMB...nice) "along for the ride" so no doubt it's gonna go in the right direction :thumbsupsmileyanim:  

Look up the builds that "redwatch" did...it was his 16800 that inspired me.....and it's become my all time "time" favorite.

( I love my 16800 so much I'm in the process of doing the exact same building of a Black/Gold 16803)

The 93150 I'm using is I believe an older version of the cartel one. Has the flat 3 and a nice rounded link construction. With gen end links and a nice gen clasp, there is no need for a complete gen bracelet, unless your OCD just can't handle it anymore. 

For the SEL, TCs bracelets are very, very good, although the V3 is better overall IMHO

I think it was Freddy who wrote it here, "Pick a year, and go with it for inspiration" I could be wrong though :)

have sourced a 3035 Sub case, the vendor shall remain anonymous, bezel assembly, insert and 93150 bracelet with 593s incoming. I am studying HARD about whether a Yuki 3135 will fit and work. The 3135 is thinner so I have good intel that it WILL work. I have my eye on a Mark II NDT dial as well.

Is that bezel assembly from the same anonymous vendor?  I to am starting a quest on a 16800 inspired build, I have more of a fantasy model in mind however want to use their 3035 case as the base.  I definitely will be studying up on all of the 16800 builds that have been documented on this forum.  

The bezel YES from said unknown vendor....the insert has to go. The bezel though, the scallops are insane good and accurate. The bezel fits said 3035 case, with a tension spring, click spring and bezel per gen....quite bad ass imo. Searching for a better insert though.

Agreed on installation! I put a TC assembly on my 16610 case from the same supplier last night and it was a bear to install! It looks great though, especially with a gen flat 4 insert! I feel really good about the seal around the crystal though, it pressed on hard and won't be going anywhere or leaking anytime soon... Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Seems to me, a lot of hype about TC and his "stuff" but most of the STUFF doesn't fit well. I thought this was the new coming of the Wm9s. I don't get it, yet.

In the rep world, nothing seems to be quite right. TC's stuff is better then most but nothing beats gen! I will be using his hands on my two ETA-powered subs though (16800 and 16610T) and his movement rings make a great starting place for getting an ETA movement into a gen-style case. One major advantage he has over the other suppliers is that his parts are readily available for the most part. He was out of good dials last I checked but they don't fit these cases without some millwork anyway.

Softened 93150...

Products:

180 grit

A wore out sponge 400 grit block

Scotch Brite

000 Synthetic Steel wool

I have softened many a replica Rolex bracelet but this Putetime 93150 is pretty damn good out of the box. This 16800 build needed what I call "fauxtina"..The 29 years of look w/o being what I also call BTF....Beat To F***....I see 2 sides of the vintage coin...gentle aged un restored (my thing) and BTF (not my thing). You know, the tied to a trailer hitch of your pickup truck and dragged down a country gravel road OR found at the bottom of the ocean for 20 years.

So I used these products to soften the case edges, bracelet edges etc. I have lots of gen pics of natural wear locations and after I worked the fauxtina down in various stages I RE added some deep marks over the finished fauxtina...Not done yet, but better and the watch as a whole is as soft as her butt.....:)

ED869BDB-3973-4A17-8C41-8318B87F988C-357

My 2 day old grand daughter Jade Marie.

06E47634-9D2D-42BD-94B1-1187BE5E2444-476

E53F07A9-EE85-466C-8CD0-B818DAC9FCB2-476

E2AFF49A-CC9A-4EF8-B5F1-07E537F384BA-476

352BFE47-5C9B-4605-A064-42AC0AD455D9-476

A9882372-305C-4C2B-9EFC-D34A85078A1C-476

Comments, good or flame and suggestions welcome.

Congrats on your granddaughter!

The watch looks great! If it were mine (and what I did on my case) I'd round the top outside edges of the lugs a little more and then repolish the sides to a mirror finish. I like the look of a case that's been worn, refinished once and then put back in the drawer for a grandkid or something. The bracelet looks great but again, I'd brush it straight like a new gen for the same effect. Used, then redone. It's your painting though and I think it looks great no matter what you do! One thing though, your CGs look MUCH better than mine! Is the case really from the same source? PM me if you'd like...

Some progressing "softening" pics

4B564171-7718-44B1-9EF6-014A469762B7-556

114C018B-2A69-4D1D-A235-AA9405E1E85D-556

3D6A168D-B747-4DE0-B497-B2CE8A5D50FD-556

2EADE573-9D08-4166-8402-CA398C883097-556

Thanks to fidhle for the heads up

Man my pics look great on Photobucket and my camera, but SUCK posted up? What the hell.

Edited by txrob779

Yes sir we are on the same page for sure. I need some finer re-polish but its closer. My friend Rick917 sent me some pics a while back of a 16000 early serial that had some great wear on it as a reference too. Coolness..

Did you use a Dremel ball bit to chamfer your lug hole apex's?

Edited by txrob779

I just used a bigger drill bit by hand. Works like a charm and there's little risk of overdoing it!

I have to warn, if the modder doesn't have steady hands and the right bit, it can get nasty. I have received cases with bits in them and gauges around the holes.