When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal On The Fa Jones

Guest jd6753

before I make the jump, I just wanted to ask this one question to FA jones owners.

is the crystal sapphire, or mineral("synthetic sapphire")?

I'm pretty sure the swiss unitas version has the sapphire but wasn't sure if the asian decorated one had the same crystal.

The reason why I ask this is because there is nothing I hate more than having a crystal with that coke-bottle green tint when viewing from the side.

Thanks in advance.

My Asian Jones has sapphire crystals.

@jd6753 - "Synthetic sapphire" is not the same as "mineral glass", as you would seen to be indicating. But you are right about mineral glass being "coke-bottle green" when viewed from the edge.

@Mikellem - Joshua advertises both Swiss and Asain models as having sapphire front and back.

Thanks HFC, I didn't know that. :)

This comes up frequently and yet confusion remains.

Mineral = Glass

Saphire is a natural stone that is valuable for jewlrey and too valuable to make watch crystals out of.

Synthetic saphire is man made and has been for years. It is the same chemical composition, hardness, durability and has all the properties of natural saphire.

Synthetic saphire is not mineral glass.

Usil

Edited by Usil

The weird thing is that I see some dealers offering models in both "synthetic sapphire" and "sapphire". Since all sapphire crystals are synthetic I always assumed "synthetic sapphire" was used for marketing purposes and as such meant glass.

I have had my Laureus for so long I can't remember what the movement is. Can someone tell me the easiest way to tell? Also any interesting ideas on a reasonably priced strap upgrade. I never wear it because the strap on mine is crap. :)

great, I am way more confused than prior to my question :)

the so-called "synthetic sapphire" is just another way of nicely saying "mineral" crystal.

I do realize that these sapphire crystals are all synthetic, however when it comes to rep dealers, some just don't want to say "mineral" as we all know we hate mineral crystals. Why can't everyone be like EL and save the synthetic sapphire BS?

At any rate, is there a way of getting the decorated movement version of the FA jones with a SAPPHIRE crystal?

No, Synthetic Saphire is not just another way to say Mineral Glass. Syntheic saphire is as I described - a man made saphire with the same durability, hardness and other characteristics as real gem based saphire.

Now, there are two things here that need to be clear. If you see some members use these terms mineral glass and synthetic saphire as the same they are just confused. If you are saying that some dealers call mineral glass synthetic saphire then that will need some proof because that would be calling them liars. I do not know of any of our trusted dealers that deliberately lie about this.

Usil

Edited by Usil