When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam: Wrong Way To Place A New Cyclops

sssurfer

Ok, so my watchsmith and I went wrong in the end.

1st error - I gave him an AR coated sapphire crystal to place a 'watchmen' cyclops on it (I know, Mark, you warned against it! I must have been out of my mind).

2nd error - He placed it -- and the glue made a mess on AR coating.

3rd error - He tried to strip the mess out by grinding the crystal even before telling me. :blink:

So i now have a bold brand new badly scratched (on the inside) sapphire crystal. :black_eye:

I would like to know if there is a way to polish it again.

Sapphire being so hard (the hell knows how my watchsmith managed to scratch it that way) common abrasives don't work. :black_eye: :black_eye:

I read of diamond abrasive paste, but I seem unable to find it on the net (or elsewhere).

Any hint / suggestion / link, fellow modders?

your watch guy should replace it for u , i have had to replace something that went wrong before for customers, unless it was a special project and u knew the risk and he acted like he could do it , then i would say he should replace it for u , just my two cents

joe

@rbj69:

Hi Joe, you are right, but I actually prefer not to enter into a discussion with my watchsmith, as I consider I have been lucky in finding a local watchsmith that is decently skilled (crystals apart :black_eye:) and willing to work on reps.

@Finepics:

Thanks, Mark!

PM sent.

Ok, so my watchsmith and I went wrong in the end.

1st error - I gave him an AR coated sapphire crystal to place a 'watchmen' cyclops on it (I know, Mark, you warned against it! I must have been out of my mind).

2nd error - He placed it -- and the glue made a mess on AR coating.

3rd error - He tried to strip the mess out by grinding the crystal even before telling me. :blink:

So i now have a bold brand new badly scratched (on the inside) sapphire crystal. :black_eye:

I would like to know if there is a way to polish it again.

Sapphire being so hard (the hell knows how my watchsmith managed to scratch it that way) common abrasives don't work. :black_eye: :black_eye:

I read of diamond abrasive paste, but I seem unable to find it on the net (or elsewhere).

Any hint / suggestion / link, fellow modders?

Is it a flat crystal? If so I can look into providing you with a replacement if you can give the exact dimensions.

Is it a flat crystal? If so I can look into providing you with a replacement if you can give the exact dimensions.

It is slightly domed, but I don't mind to replace it with a flat one, chieftang, thanks!

It is 35.7 mm diameter. Thickness is not an issue.