When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5980 chronograph

jgairking

• 3 months later...

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711-1A

This is what the simple Asian 4813 version looks like. Its a perfect dresswatch, 42 mm case, 11,2 mm thick, because of the nautical portholes Gerald Genta design and smooth polish it slides perfectly under the cuffs of Your shirt, like no other watch. Despite the Jumbo - name and the 42 mm case its a smaller watch than the ones today are going.

Do love Genta´s classical 1976 design and the 1972 Audemars Piguet RO 15400 too. Think it looks very good and catches well the light, depending on movement and quality of lume the prices range from 168 to 528 USD plus shipping. The caseback is not gen-like but the better versions only have a nicer rotor - You can´t replicate the genuine in-house movement.

Most reps have an additional two lugholes on the first link of the bracelet which the Gen has not (except ladies version).

Have to say that I love the watch, it wears flat and smooth, the minor flaws don´t bother at all. Just adding that imop the lesser functions and hands and wheels a rep has the more gen-like and higher quality it is (there is simply less to go wrong). The simple movement on this one is very good, if You save the money and can live with the weaker lume You can get the AP 15400 additionally which was what I did.

Other considerations: The Gen is a very expensive watch, the chrono even more so, goes used for around 30.000 USD; so You have to pull that off.

The one I do like most because of the way the day/date is displaced and the moonphase of course is the 5726/1A-001. Because this one is such a nice watch maybe someday I will try to get that one too. Wishing You good choices and a nice watch... Tip: choose 3 dealers from the TD list and look what they have. Decide for one of them... there You go.

IMG_0685_zps86214d3a.jpg

This is what the simple 21j caseback looks like:

IMG_0666_zpsb3cefeb7.jpg

IMG_0664_zps363c3b1f.jpg