When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie questions

Neophyte

Newbie here (thus the name).

I've never bought a replica before and am a bit hesitant, for a couple reasons, which I'll fold into my questions.

1) My first question is this. The main reason I want a replica is not the movement, not the name, but the looks. I want a replica Planet Ocean not because of the name "Omega" but because I love the look of the watch and no homage quite captures it (if we were talking Rolex Submariner, I'd be perfectly happy with a Steinhart). So the question is, how much of the actual physical appearance does a "good" replica capture? Is it 90%? I imagine that it won't have the same finish or polish, but how close are they? I mean, is it something that a discerning eye would notice from 1-2 feet away or does it require a close-up?

2) As for the movement, I'm not a "accuracy queen" but I'd like it to keep decent time. I'm happy if its akin to a lower end Seiko, but I've read a lot about replicas losing minutes per hour and such. Anyway to avoid that?

3) I'm aware of Trusty Time and have heard good things. What other sites do people recommend? Specifically, what sites can I buy from without worrying too much about quality or legal issues.

Thanks so much - I hope someone can answer my questions. I realize these have all probably been asked before, but its hard to weed it out of all of the threads.

p.s. The watches I'm particularly interested in are:

- Omega Planet Ocean chrono (doesn't seem like there are any replicas of this, at least not the newer version that I want - especially in blue; anyone know of when this might be out, if at all?)

- Omega Seamaster blue chrono (seems like there are some good reps out there)

- Breitling Avenger blacksteel (seems like there's a pretty good one on Trusty Time)

- Seiko SDBD001 (also can't find a rep; no high-end Seikos out there?)

If you can point me to high quality reps of any of the above, I'd appreciate it!

Newbie here (thus the name).

I've never bought a replica before and am a bit hesitant, for a couple reasons, which I'll fold into my questions.

1) My first question is this. The main reason I want a replica is not the movement, not the name, but the looks. I want a replica Planet Ocean not because of the name "Omega" but because I love the look of the watch and no homage quite captures it (if we were talking Rolex Submariner, I'd be perfectly happy with a Steinhart). So the question is, how much of the actual physical appearance does a "good" replica capture? Is it 90%? I imagine that it won't have the same finish or polish, but how close are they? I mean, is it something that a discerning eye would notice from 1-2 feet away or does it require a close-up?

Get one of the super reps and they are very accurate appearance wise whilst on your wrist.

The big "tell" of reps is the movement. Some watches have display casebacks where you can see the movement, most have a solid caseback and so you can't see the movement. So that is one of the things you have to decide on, solid case back - much harder to tell a rep from a gen, display caseback - easy to tell if you hand the watch to someone to look at, but it displays the lovely manual or auto movement.

Personally I don't care about the accuraccy to gen, I just love the looks of the watches and I like the looks of the movement so prefer display casebacks.

Remember that nearly all people won't have the slightest idea what an Omega PO really looks like, so they couldn't tell gen from rep at all.

So another question is, who are you trying to convince it's not a rep? You will never fool a professional than knows his/her watches unless you get a rep watch and then replace virtually everything with gen parts.

You can get very, very, very close, that close that a pro would have to use a loupe and have the rep next to a gen to tell (just looking at the front of the watch here) but going that route will cost a whole heap of money!

2) As for the movement, I'm not a "accuracy queen" but I'd like it to keep decent time. I'm happy if its akin to a lower end Seiko, but I've read a lot about replicas losing minutes per hour and such. Anyway to avoid that?

Mechanical movements can be calibrated to +/- a few seconds a day. The crucial thing if you want good accuracy is to get the movement properly serviced - that is something the rep movement factories don't pay close attention too - assembling them, they forget to oil bits, oil bits they shouldn't, they're assembled in unclean environments. All can be sorted with a service, costs maybe $125 or so.

3) I'm aware of Trusty Time and have heard good things. What other sites do people recommend? Specifically, what sites can I buy from without worrying too much about quality or legal issues.

Just about any of them here:-

http://www.rwgforum.net/forum/230-watches-clothing-accessories/

Use the more popular ones, Toro, Joshua, PureTime, Trusty Time.

Have a look at their websites, depending where you live you may want to use triangular shipping to minimise customs issues.

Thanks my man, that's very helpful.

A couple further questions/thoughts:

What do you mean by "super rep?" How does one tell?

To answer your question I'm not trying to convince anyone. To be honest, I almost wished the reps used different names! I just love certain high-end watches like those listed, but don't want to/can't spends thousands on them. I'd be buying them solely because I like the aesthetics of the genuines and want watches that at least look like them, if aren't them.

I'm in the US and have ordered from overseas before and have never had any customs issues. Not sure if I'm lucky, or if it just isn't an issue in the US.

Super reps? I'm certain there are other longer standing members who can explain it better than I can, but basically they are reps that have been made to be highly close to the original gen.

Some of these reps can accept genuine parts, things like crowns, crystals, bracelets, etc.

For example if you go to Putetimes site there is a link on the top left called "Bull's Eye Zone" which lists these high end reps.

Similarily if you go to Silix Prime ( http://silix-prime.so/ ) on the top left there is a "High Quality Watches" section.

Of course you will pay more for higher quality.

For each watch you may be thinking of it is well worth your while perusing these and the other rep forums and reading a couple of reviews of the particular watch you are thinking of buying. Not all "super reps" should be classed as such unfortunately.

If you are not bothered about the name on the watch have you looked at the gen micro brands?

They do make some gorgeous watches and range in price from a cheap rep to a super rep (and upwards of course).

In December last year I got a Aviator Professional Chrono, Laco Used watch (they make a watch that looks "used" - it's not actually a second hand watch), Orient blue, Deep Blue Sun Diver. I've also got 5 various Seiko watches, Rodina (the spitting image of a Nomos), a couple of Alphas - Alpha make approximate reps of loads of other brands, sterile Pam homages that look excellent.

I think my inexpensive gens now outnumber my reps about 2 to 1 and I'm still finding lots more that I love the looks of.

Hi and welcome on the forum. Fraggle has already said all there is to say. Just look at the mentioned dealer sites and choose a watch of Your liking in the 280-400 usd range plus shipping. No need to go swiss eta, Asian eta is fine (and about 100 usd cheaper) but do not get tempted by the cheaper offerings in Your first purchase. Cheap is worse as with everything but look almost the same on pictures.  Chronos are more "complicated" watches than those with just hands and a date, so the last are normally better/ more reliable. Seamaster Ceramic and Breitling Steelfish/Seawolf (non-chronos) are optimal first choices. You will be amazed by the quality. As you wait for the watch, do more reading and maybe carefully choose a chrono to order on the day Your first watch arrives. Good luck.