When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Winding Problem

cypher

it isn´t the problem of your dealer

it is your problem. No dealer will refund a 3 month old watch. No guarantee. If you like 2 years guarantee you must buy the genuine. No dealer can get you a guarantee for a $200-$250 watch. If so he must get the double price.

you get a refund, when it arrived demaged or demaged in few days. But not for a 2-3 month old watch.

but maybe it is a easy fix. Unitas is a very simple movement. I have much spare parts on stock. Let me know the exact problem and show some pics... so we can help you. Don´t worry

Bought a PAM 111 last september and its been working perfectly but yesterday when I tried winding I could see the gears in the back slipping. Is there anyway I could fix this? Should I ask the dealer if he would fix it?

Thanks!

I think the problem is probably due to the crown and stem assembly. The glue that holds the crown and the stem together might have came off and the crown is screwed further into the stem, shortening the length of the stem. This cause the stem from not being able to engage the winding position full, causing the stem to slip and not wind.

It happened to my IWC portugese. You can either reglue the stem or place something in the crown to prevent it from being screwed further into the stem...

Try opening it w/ wearing rubber gloves but if it don't work buy a cheap wrench with the proper diameter at your local hardware (plumber) shop and put some tape on it (no damage to watch). You can also buy a Panerai case opener on Ebay.

After that tighten the 2 screws on the 2 large wheels.. check if it works good now.

If it doesn't, check if that screw is tight and the spring is ok on the "mini-wheel that clicks" connecting to the largest wheel.

If that's all good remove the winding stem like mentioned here and check if the crown is tight to it, also check if the winding stem is seated properly into the watch when putting it all back.

Good luck!

Edited by pannylovernr1

Try opening it w/ wearing rubber gloves but if it don't work buy a cheap wrench with the proper diameter at your local hardware (plumber) shop and put some tape on it (no damage to watch). You can also buy a Panerai case opener on Ebay.

After that tighten the 2 screws on the 2 large wheels.. check if it works good now.

If it doesn't, check if that screw is tight and the spring is ok on the "mini-wheel that clicks" connecting to the largest wheel.

If that's all good remove the winding stem like mentioned here and check if the crown is tight to it, also check if the winding stem is seated properly into the watch when putting it all back.

Good luck!

Fixed!!!

Actually opened it up with some mailing tape and saw that the larger wheel was slightly misaligned. Tightened it up a little bit and it started winding but realized that it was winding only half way. Turns out it wasnt sitting flat along with the other wheels so it took me a while to get it perfectly flat and now it looks good...hopefully I wont have any more problems.

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Edited by cypher