When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WIP vintage homage. Hand advice?

Griemersma

Here's the story. My father-in-law went to China a few years back and brought back a bunch of Rolex reps as gifts. He gave me a blue faced datejust (I think) rep. I never really bonded with it, so I tried modding a few things on it and basically just used it to learn how to take apart watches.

Then, the other day, I picked up an old Gruen autowind from the antique mall for $25. The case was pretty much trashed. The front looked fine, but the back was all torn up with sharp edges and the lugs were all uneven (?). From the few minutes I got to hold it in the store, it seemed to be running ok, so I took a chance on it. Never really wore it though because the lugs were so uncomfortable. Well, the other day, I decided to try putting the Gruen movement in the rep case, and if actually fit really well! The crown fit on the old Gruen stem, too. Even the domed acrylic crystal from the old case snapped right in to the new case. I bet water resistance is nothing, but it fits tightly and doesn't spin. I added a homemade dial, and the darn thing has been running at around +/- 2 sec a day! Needless to say, I am pretty happy, considering this was just made on a whim.

But the hands...

One of the great things about the old Explorers that I'm referencing with this is their combination of class and sportiness. I feel like I really need luminous Mercedes hands to complete the look. The hands on it are the ones that came with it. The Gruen 710RSS uses 80/140 hands, not a common size these days. I tried opening up some 70/120 hands, but failed miserably. 90/150 hands are easy to find-- is there any way to make them work? Any other advice?

Edited by Griemersma