When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob about a Noob

Hi Guys

Bit of a Newbie here been sitting in the side-lines for a while doing lots of reading and then more reading. Now I’m looking to pull the trigger of my first true decent rep, my rep of choice is the pam111n v3 but I am unsure if noob or h is the way to go, Toro has the Noob and Andrew at Puretime has the H. I have read a few H vs Noob threads and it seems to be leaning towards Noob as the better rep. Although like a child in a sweet shop I have now started looking at pam 390 and the 127 fiddy's. Any advice welcomed on which way to go and if you had any views on H vs Noob on any of these models. I also hear the 50's are low stocks at the minute so that may sway my decision to the 111. I have also been reading some mod threads and lots of people admire Marlins work but a quick question if anyone could answer. I have read a thread about a pam111n noob having the following mods by marlin:

Mods done:

Y-Incabloc (unsure what this is)

Polished ratchet wheel bevel

Polished crown wheel bevel

Brushed and gold plated gear train

Long micrometric screw

Reshaped swan-neck

ETA markings on the main plate

Polished and flattened canon pinion

And of course, cleaned, oiled & regulated

My question is I presume these mods are not directly necessary as the latest Noob version by all accounts is an excellent super rep, but what benefit are these mods to overall appearance and operation? Do they take the unit to an even closer standard of a Gen? or are some of these a necessity for a good operating and maintenance of a timepiece.

Cheers guys appreciate your advice and input

D.

Hello, Andrew is Trustytime and Angus is Puretime. Those mods are not necessary, and they seem to be all movement mods, I think the incabloc alone is like 130 USD or more, very probably to make the movement closer to gen in looks. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply soon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the reply , apologies for TD mix up there. so these mods mentioned are not that necessary unless wanting to move it more towards gen. So I'm reading that the  Asian 6497 Manual, high beat 21600bph movement is good and pretty servicable? on these 111n Noob v3's.

thanks