When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial Replacement On Iwc Ing

dvn

Replacing a dial is straight forward, I can do it in about 15 - 30 minutes…

But your asking if you can replace the dial, unfortunately only you can answer that question, because without any answers to these questions, it’s hard to answer on your behalf.

So in order to know if you can indeed do this task, I would need to know the following:

What experience do you have working on watches?

What training or reference books on watchmaking do you have?

Do you have the required tools: loupe, tweezers, watchmaker screwdrivers, case back removal tool, hand removal tool, hand installation tool, lint free watch-paper, dust blower, rodico, silicone grease PML grease?

Do you know how to open the watch?

Do you know how to remove the stem and uncase the movement?

Do you know how to hold the movement so as to not damage it or remove the oil from the pivots?

Do you know how to remove the hands, and remove the dial without damaging them?

Do you know what to check for before installing the dial on the movement?

Do you know the steps in installing the hands and how to seat them correctly on the posts?

Do you have a timing machine to verify that the beat and rate did not change due to the handling of the movement?

Do you know how to case the movement?

Do you know how to lubricate the seals and re-install the stem and caseback?

Replacing a dial on any watch involves the same steps, the type of watch does not matter.

Your asking if you can do it, without any answers to the above, I am in no position to tell you if you can - or can’t - replace the dial.

While it looks simple, as with anything in watchmaking, it’s simple if you have the tools, skill, training, experience etc…

Whenever I see questions that ask “…do you think I can do this XXX watchmaking task…” I have to know the answers to the above questions, if I can give an intelligent answer. Without knowing your skills and capabilities, I can be of no assistance....

RG

Replacing a dial is straight forward, I can do it in about 15 - 30 minutes…

But your asking if you can replace the dial, unfortunately only you can answer that question, because without any answers to these questions, it’s hard to answer on your behalf.

RG

I think The Zigmeister about covers it, although I'm comfortable changing dials and I don't have a rate-testing machine. I do it the low tech way--Any watch unlucky enough to have me work on it goes on a winder and if it's still running accurately after a few days, I assume it has survived the trauma I inflicted on it with my tools.

But seriously dude, if this is the only dial you ever plan on replacing send it off or take it to a local smith.

If not, go buy some tools. At a very minimum--the tools The Zigmeister listed are needed. I bought the TZ kit plus a coupe of other goodies and it will probably last a lifetime for the things I will ever attempt myself.