When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 196

minkoid

Hello there,

About three months ago I found this site are becoming interested in Panerai after a friend of mine bought a couple of gens. I went for a pam 111g from trustytime great watch. My friend was so impressed he ordered a Pam 196 Daylight asian 7750 from trusty time. From the start the chrono function didn't work, he wasn't that bothered and said he only wore the gens anyway, so he offered it to me.

I now have it, I've followed the instructions set date at 6.00 etc. however nothing happens when i press the top chrono button.

My question is, what should happen and is there any simple thing i could try to get it working?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Merry Christmas from England.

The first question is whether you are getting any resistance when you push down the pusher. If not, it is possible the pusher has disengaged from the movement . This you might be able to recitify assuming you have ever taken off the back of a watch. That is the easiest answer other than simply trying to push the reset at the bottom before trying the top pusher. Beyond that you are either sending it to a watchsmith which will cost real money or replacing the movement.

Bear in mind that this advice is coming from someone whose watchsmithing skills amount to typing Ziggy's address onto a shipping label. :lol: It works every time, impeccably I might add. :)

thanks for the reply, when i press the top pusher it just clicks in, i cant feel any real resistance. I've tried the bottom pusher but thats the same. Other than the chrono function the watch is keeping great time. Will i need a special tool to remove the back casing?

Hifly makes a good point. Before taking off the back give the watch a full wind first (30 turns or so as you can't overwind) and try the chrono then. I will let a more knowledgeable person weigh in but once you get the caseback off you need to be able to see where the pusher stem threads into the movement. I have never taken a 7750 out of the case. I suspect you wil have to remove the movement spacer to see anything but don't do anything until someone who has played around with their 196 weighs in. Seriously, as I am way out of my depth. :) But for your own interest here is a post from Ziggy on uncasing a basic movement:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1416

There are a number of other posts on the 7750 in Ziggy's expert corner. :)