When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam63 Gmt 2836-2

pwygant

The Zigmeister,

I received a beautiful new PAM63 the other day. I have never had a PAM with 2836-2 before and quite honestly this was the main reason I got another PAM.

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question but when I unlock the lever the crown basically "springs" out a little bit as opposed to unscrewing the crown on other "popular" cases? It also doesn't sit just flat against the case when the lever is snapped down but I guess this is normal?

At this point I can wind it and if I click one more step I set the date. If I click one more I think it is supposed to set the GMT, and the final step sets the time. I am having a hard time setting the GMT arm because it doesn't seem to work right. I assume that having a GMT function one handle is supposed to show another time zone? My family lives in Europe so I wanted to set their zone for 7 hours ahead. I did that initially but it doesn't seem that it wants to work just right as the time is always about another 2 hours off.

Normal behaviour...? :wub:

Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question but when I unlock the lever the crown basically "springs" out a little bit as opposed to unscrewing the crown on other "popular" cases? It also doesn't sit just flat against the case when the lever is snapped down but I guess this is normal?

Is sounds like you have a sprung vs a fixed crown. With a sprung crown, there is a small spring in the crown and when you release the handle, it will spring out from the case - normal... If it's not sitting flat when the crown is pushed in, then the crown needs to reshaped so that it does.

At this point I can wind it and if I click one more step I set the date. If I click one more I think it is supposed to set the GMT, and the final step sets the time. I am having a hard time setting the GMT arm because it doesn't seem to work right. I assume that having a GMT function one handle is supposed to show another time zone? My family lives in Europe so I wanted to set their zone for 7 hours ahead. I did that initially but it doesn't seem that it wants to work just right as the time is always about another 2 hours off.

Normal behaviour...? :wub:

THe GMT function is on the second pull of the crown, not the third one, should be opposite the date set function, turn one way the date changes, turn the other, the GMT hand moves. GMT hand does 1 turn in each 2 turns of the main dial, if you set it to another time zone, it will not change the relationship between what you set it to, and your local time. But you have to use the GMT time zone ring to set the time, not the normal dial time...

RG

Thanks for the feedback. Makes total sense. So... apparently from what I can tell some crowns come tight to the case and some "not so tight" but nothin really wrong, correct? This is something I don't think I can do so perhaps a service is needed whne this gets on my nerves. :Jumpy:

Thanks for the feedback on the GMT. It makes total sense now and I guess I did not read the instructions good enough to know that up is GMT and down was date.

//Pete

Is sounds like you have a sprung vs a fixed crown. With a sprung crown, there is a small spring in the crown and when you release the handle, it will spring out from the case - normal... If it's not sitting flat when the crown is pushed in, then the crown needs to reshaped so that it does.

THe GMT function is on the second pull of the crown, not the third one, should be opposite the date set function, turn one way the date changes, turn the other, the GMT hand moves. GMT hand does 1 turn in each 2 turns of the main dial, if you set it to another time zone, it will not change the relationship between what you set it to, and your local time. But you have to use the GMT time zone ring to set the time, not the normal dial time...

RG

Thanks for the feedback. Makes total sense. So... apparently from what I can tell some crowns come tight to the case and some "not so tight" but nothin really wrong, correct? This is something I don't think I can do so perhaps a service is needed whne this gets on my nerves.

It depends on the model, some sit closer to the case, some don't. Most times, there is nothing that can be done to move it closer to the case, it's just the way it's built and the parts they happen to use that day...

RG