When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Great Deal on a Vintage Service Insert

UmpaHimself

A few nights ago I came across a new in plastic service insert for vintage Sub models. The seller wanted $240 OBO but since I haven't seen any insert come close to that price I bought it right on the spot. It does have some interesting differences when compared to the rep inserts. First of all, the inner diameter is a touch wider, so it fit the taller crystal on my 1680 perfectly unlike the stock MBW inserts that were sanded down to fit (at least that's how both my 1680 white and red came) and thus had a bit of the bottom corner of the triangle shaved off. So for that reason alone it looks much better. I had been wondering why gens had this more pronounced look where the insert meets the bezel. My MBW inserts definitely sat recessed int he bezel, but still looked different. Now with this service insert in hand I realize it's because there is actually a beveling on the outer edge of the insert. The font looks a touch different but we all know there a many differences in insert fonts depending on the era. The finish looks very similar to the MBW but there is a difference in the pearl. I am not sure if the Ofrei pearl is slightly larger or the gen pearl sits higher in the triangle... or both. Take a look at the pics to decide for yourself.

Gen insert on the 1680 Red, MBW w/ Ofrei pearl on the 5512:

P1xNJvn.jpg

hij5qq5.jpg

j44DLNJ.jpg

V8RnpTx.jpg