When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob V6 DSSD D-Blue HE valve update

richard591

Since I couldn't get a definitive answer to my post on Saturday 6th Aug to the question "is the hole for the dummy HE valve on the noob V6s DSSD drilled all the way through the case" I took the movement out today to have a look.

Answer is:- no it doesn't seem to be. If it is, then it's behind the tightly machined and fitted inner ring which seems to be press fitted into the case just under the rehaut ring and you can't see it. I couldn't see any way water could get past that if you're just doing what you should be with a rep and only swimming or showering. I also assume, at least with the noob V6s DSSD, that the HE valve may have some form of seals, as it's billed as being resistant to 5 ATM. However, don't trust it until you've checked the back for tightness. Mine was only hand tight when I got it.

This seems to be born out with my other DSSD Black. I did that one some weeks ago - back off and winder stem out to grease with silicone all the "O" ring seals, then tighten the whole lot down. Much flailing about in the pool and drying out in hot sun since hasn't shown up any problems so far.

Personally, this is as much as I would expect from a rep. If I want to go skiing, water skiing or windsurfing (too many high speed wipeouts to mention) I would only wear my genuine Submariner. That's done the lot and never missed a beat.

Thanks, have you got the V6s DSSD?

If you have, that's very wierd then because if it was the same on mine I assume it would be visible. Looking at it from the inside it seems only possible that the hole could be on the other side of the inner ring, as I said, which itself is fitted so tightly to the case you can't see it. Nevertheless, these watches are never going to have to experience letting Helium out anyway.

If you're right and you may well be, then I assume the hole is drilled through the main body of the case to fit the valve, then the inner ring is pressed in after that and covers the hole.

However, if it is and it's a functioning valve, then at least that means it should be watertight in its own right, because you couldn't get to the hole unless the inner ring was removed. I personally draw the line at that point, because I'm not sure how the inner ring disengages and wouldn't want to disrupt the case to that extent.

Hopefully, what I've done (as described) will perform as well as on the DSSD Black. If not, I'll let you know.

The ring lock does come out. It's pressed in with the crystal gasket creating a seal between the ring lock and the mid-case. The hole goes all the way through.

ac8134c85f0202cc5445fc123f5ab517.jpg

This is the HEV closed and flush.

694105cb25a5a1d46a40d7da3a2b0692.jpg

This is the HEV venting.

3c178b535caa27cd8d89b2121a294e60.jpg

Since I don't expect to have mine in use, I seal it with Jewelers epoxy from the inside.

There is enough of a gap between the ring lock and the mid-case that would allow HE to be released.

607bde165d6d869f3868d3926b8f3eef.jpg

9633a2d3b07602f7e949cc3277ffcd0c.jpg

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 436NR said:

The ring lock does come out. It's pressed in with the crystal gasket creating a seal between the ring lock and the mid-case. The hole goes all the way through.

ac8134c85f0202cc5445fc123f5ab517.jpg

This is the HEV closed and flush.

694105cb25a5a1d46a40d7da3a2b0692.jpg

This is the HEV venting.

3c178b535caa27cd8d89b2121a294e60.jpg

Since I don't expect to have mine in use, I seal it with Jewelers epoxy from the inside.

There is enough of a gap between the ring lock and the mid-case that would allow HE to be released.

607bde165d6d869f3868d3926b8f3eef.jpg

9633a2d3b07602f7e949cc3277ffcd0c.jpg

I hope this helps. emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible to recess the valve a little?

Thanks again everyone for the input. Very helpful

Exactly, that's why I didn't try to remove the inner ring.

I guess for those who only wear the watch as a changeable accessory this is all a bit academic. However, for those who do actually want it to withstand light duty as described, this is all useful stuff. As I said, has worked on the DSSD Black so far, but if the valve on the noob DSSD V6s is actually a working item then it should be sealed anyway. After waterproofing/greasing all the seals might still be worthwhile to have it pressure tested anyway, just to make absolutely sure.