When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Saphire Crystal Hardness

elprimerozen

I would like to ask all experts for the quality of a rep saphire crystal.Is the same quality like gen or its more easy to be schratsed??Give me your opinion..or real life experience!!My best regards! :victory:

synthetic sapphire is synthetic sapphire. aluminum oxide. period. the mohs hardness is the same

honestly this question has been answered a 100 times before. i suppose it's possible that rolex or others get theirs from a source with slightly better quality control,. but until one fractures from the pressure of a 300 meter dive it's impossible to tell.

a 30 second google search or wikipedia will tell you more about the synthetic sapphire used in watch crystals than you would ever want or need to know :rolleyes:

Yer ive noticed soem people even have those devices i think called "diaselectorII" that checks the crystal to make sure it is of the same hardness

i cannot imagine the need for such a thing for two reasons:

1. synthetic sapphire has a hardness rating of 9 on the mohs scale of hardness. no more, no less. see here:

http://www.amfed.org/t_mohs.htm

2. the way you check 'hardness' on things like stones or metals (metal commonly uses the rockwell scale) is by applying pressure to a point (using something harder than the material being tested) until it dimples or deforms. then measuring the force needed. sapphire is very hard and very scratch resistant, but brittle. that's why omega used acrylic crystals for the moon watches and seiko refused to use sapphire for professional idve watches for decades. they shatter when they fail. so assuming you used a diamond tipped tool (diamond is 10 on the mohs scale and 4 times as hard as sapphire), you could apply pressure until the sapphire shattered.

not much sense in that :black_eye: