When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Diy Dealers Classification Table.

AMK000

I am buying rep watches since 4 years now ..... so I have gathered some experience (even though I am still learning) regarding dealer quality.

In the early days (when I was new to this world), I was reading the "dealer Review section" and I was sending PMs to senior members to find out if this or the other dealer were good or not, scared to be scammed.

Now I have learned that the term "Good" or "Bad" dealer is a bit more complicated than in the first days.

To me the "Dealer Review" section (even though important),  is not enough now. After spending something like 5,000 to 6,000 USD (20+ watches during the last 4 years), I am now more demanding on dealer's product quality, service and behaviour. 

Why the Dealers Review section (even though important) is not enough to me ???

- Senior members do not post any more in to the Dealer's review section (in my opinion they should do).

- Reviews there are vague and based mainly on emotions rather than statistics and pure numbers.

- Many members suffer "silently" (from defective watches or they get delivered with products different than showed/published) and they do not post a review. They just try to solve their problems silently (scared ???) via PMs and mails. We never hear about these problems.

So I ve decide to represent (via a table form) the catergories, factors and ratings that I am using to classify a dealer based on my own experience. This table helps me to decide (in most of the cases) from whom to buy and from whom not. Maybe it can help you too.

Here it is:

post-106-1171050798_thumb.jpg

Of course this table represents my way of viewing and classifying the dealers.

-You may agree with it, agree partially or disagree.

-You may use it to its extrems or just draw some general ideas.

-You may use it as it is, modify it or through it away. Its up to you.

-Don't tell me that with this I am firing or "crusading" against the dealers because it is obvious that I am not.

This table by no means represents RWG's (or other members) view.  

Who knows. May be one day we can manage as a whole to have a more profesional (numbers and statistics based dealer classification) where anybody can provide input and everyb

ody can benefit from it. That eventually will force dealer's improvement and that can only be a benefit to us.

And...... no ....I am not inspired by Pugwash :whistling:    

Happy watch hunting. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Watch out for my table....relating to customers......ranging from excellent.......thru'......absolutey f***ing stupid..........to.......shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects......!

Every dealer is getting a copy on an Excel spreadsheet and encouraged to post it here.....:D

Someone commented on Andreas idea.......I told him.....watch for the guys that give a bad review on a dealer.....suddenly disappear from the dealer's Xmas card list....when he has a hot item that everyone wants.....suddenly it's......"I'm afraid that item is out of stock....permanently"......LMAO....!

Edited by TTK

Those are very useful guidelines, and I think they could even be pinned in the Dealer Review section.

But hard and fast scoring guidelines might be less useful than they might seem.

For example, are you buying mainly high volume current models right after the dealer posts that he has it in stock, or do you do mostly special orders on low volume watches?

What if a dealer is travelling at times when you want to ask questions or place an order, and therefore their responses are delayed -- does this make him an average rather than good or excellent dealer?

And let's face it, some buyers are better than others, and a good customer may get more favorable treatment than someone with a history of difficult or unreasonable demands. (It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Neil really did keep a spreadsheet rating past or potential customers. It would be an interesting read, to say the least.)

I am as guilty as anyone of posting reviews that "are vague and based mainly on emotions rather than statistics and pure numbers." But when I have had problems with dealers, I always felt that it was even more important to post that information than the "ordered watch/came fast/love it/blah, blah, blah" reviews. I'm less inclined to take into account reviews where everything goes smoothly than I am the reviews that describe problems in the order/purchasing/follow-up process and how they were resolved or not resolved.

TTK-

I don't think most of the members here would have much of a problem with you, or any other dealer, constructing such a table. However, it brings up an interesting question that I've thought about on occasion.

Where do dealers draw the line about certain customers? I mean, when does picky become too picky? How many questions are tolerated before it just becomes too much of a PITA?

I know that much of this is subjective, but maybe you could give us some thoughts on this...

Much appreciated.

Savage

I am buying rep watches since 4 years now ..... so I have gathered some experience (even though I am still learning) regarding dealer quality.

In the early days (when I was new to this world), I was reading the "dealer Review section" and I was sending PMs to senior members to find out if this or the other dealer were good or not, scared to be scammed.

Now I have learned that the term "Good" or "Bad" dealer is a bit more complicated than in the first days.

To me the "Dealer Review" section (even though important), is not enough now. After spending something like 5,000 to 6,000 USD (20+ watches during the last 4 years), I am now more demanding on dealer's product quality, service and behaviour.

Why the Dealers Review section (even though important) is not enough to me ???

- Senior members do not post any more in to the Dealer's review section (in my opinion they should do).

- Reviews there are vague and based mainly on emotions rather than statistics and pure numbers.

- Many members suffer "silently" (from defective watches or they get delivered with products different than showed/published) and they do not post a review. They just try to solve their problems silently (scared ???) via PMs and mails. We never hear about these problems.

So I ve decide to represent (via a table form) the catergories, factors and ratings that I am using to classify a dealer based on my own experience. This table helps me to decide (in most of the cases) from whom to buy and from whom not. Maybe it can help you too.

Here it is:

Of course this table represents my way of viewing and classifying the dealers.

-You may agree with it, agree partially or disagree.

-You may use it to its extrems or just draw some general ideas.

-You may use it as it is, modify it or through it away. Its up to you.

-Don't tell me that with this I am firing or "crusading" against the dealers because it is obvious that I am not.

This table by no means represents RWG's (or other members) view.

Who knows. May be one day we can manage as a whole to have a more profesional (numbers and statistics based dealer classification) where anybody can provide input and everybody can benefit from it. That eventually will force dealer's improvement and that can only be a benefit to us.

And...... no ....I am not inspired by Pugwash :whistling:

Happy watch hunting. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Not to be picky, but you have 2 (G)'s (in the columns). Heh.. :victory:

Watch out for my table....relating to customers......ranging from excellent.......thru'......absolutey f***ing stupid..........to.......shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects......!

Every dealer is getting a copy on an Excel spreadsheet and encouraged to post it here..... :D

Captain , I fully support the idea. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

To be honest that's one of the main reason why some dealers have stopped taking PP.

Someone commented on Andreas idea.......I told him.....watch for the guys that give a bad review on a dealer.....suddenly disappear from the dealer's Xmas card list....when he has a hot item that everyone wants.....suddenly it's......"I'm afraid that item is out of stock....permanently"......LMAO....!

:D

That reminds a bit of Maria ..... the watch Nazi .....   "No watch for you"    :hitler:     

Every dealer is getting a copy on an Excel spreadsheet and encouraged to post it here.....:D

Should answer the question of why people suffer silently instead of posting negative reviews. :thumbdown: