When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eddie at timefactors has a new very nice watch comming soon

mrnixon

-So the only thing that makes a Panerai a Panerai is the word on the dial? Thats funny, I thought the case/crown/crown guard were just as much an indicator?

-I dont mind "homage" watches...just charge rep prices for them, because thats what they are! ie RXW,MM,etc.

-I still get ticked that the gen boards allow clearly repped watches on their boards, simply because the gen name was removed. And youre seeing it more and more with the RLX knock offs to! Whats the new pseudo brand again? Alpha? Give me a F'ing break. BUT, at least theyre charging rep-like preices for them. Again, unlike MM & RXW.

-I recently saw that one of our dealers carries a rep of the RXW! Wheres the grey area in selling it on TZ? Its a rep of a rep! Hence the ducks/wood analogy!

D

I answer your questions in the text:

-So the only thing that makes a Panerai a Panerai is the word on the dial? Thats funny, I thought the case/crown/crown guard were just as much an indicator?

No, but what definitelly makes a fake is when you write Panerai on a watch not made by Panerai. After that you can see all sorts of degrees of immitations. For example just look at how the first submariner quickly became the norm for how almost all divers watches look. And just because you copy the crown guard etc you dont get a Panerai, although as you say it is an indicator.

-I dont mind "homage" watches...just charge rep prices for them, because thats what they are! ie RXW,MM,etc.

I think we can let the price be decided by the seller. The particular watch in this thread for example has been developed over a rather long period of time and with a number of prototypes. All of it made by a german well respected case maker. Most likelly the movement will not require service before starting to use the watch either. Further this company is probably run in a different manner paying taxes, VAT etc.

-I still get ticked that the gen boards allow clearly repped watches on their boards, simply because the gen name was removed. And youre seeing it more and more with the RLX knock offs to! Whats the new pseudo brand again? Alpha? Give me a F'ing break. BUT, at least theyre charging rep-like preices for them. Again, unlike MM & RXW.

Since I'm at this forum which deals with reps, I at least dont get so upset if I see something being less of a rep at another forum.

-I recently saw that one of our dealers carries a rep of the RXW! Wheres the grey area in selling it on TZ? Its a rep of a rep! Hence the ducks/wood analogy!

May you should have told us that you all of a sudden changed the topic from rep of a gen to rep of rep?

Homage v. rep. v. gen debate aside, RXW is hard to defend as a company . . . it's based here in Japan and although it does make some interesting homage watches (I really liked that Plasmir Milograph or whatever it was called) it also makes some watches that really are more straight-up knockoffs than anything else. The company name used to be "Rockx" and its lineup mostly Rolex sport watch lookalikes -- put two and two together. I still think the company is kind of shady, the occasional decent homage aside.

That having been said, I still don't see the argument that because homage watches violate the spirit but not the letter of the law, they are the same as reps. Unless you're some kind of moral absolutist, there IS a big difference between violating the spirit and the letter of the law. However, if you're a moral absolutist, you probably shouldn't be buying fake watches. So I'm not seeing any kind of compelling argument there.

Besides, what is the point of getting indignant about what people on TZ think? Here's a little secret -- THEY DON'T LIKE REPS OVER THERE! Yes, of course most of the TZ members think gens are morally and mechanically superior to reps! It's a frigging forum designed for people who think that and have put their money where their mouth is, why get upset about it? It's like complaining that a Boston Red Sox fan forum is always insulting the New York Yankees or something. Yeah . . . so??

To get back to the original post....

The watch is actually pretty bad looking...Eddie should know that the dial and hands that belong to 47mm watch don't fit well the 45mm one...it's the watch making basics 101.

Taking the dial and hands from a cheap rep and building the one you call your own can fool a lot of people, but not guys like us.

I know he's aiming at Vintage look but he could have at least made some efforts on re-luming that dial, though...

:thumbdown:

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola