When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The curse of the crooked dial

Spoooooonz

Your shiny new watch survives the thieves in the postal service and arrives at your door. Excitedly you open the package, at first you are delighted with the latest addition to your collection, but delight soon turns to disappointment as soon as you spot some nasty flaw on the dial. The watch ends up in a drawer and will never be looked upon again. It's so frustrating for a well made watch with a quality movement inside to be knackered by a bad dial. I wonder how much more it would be worth to the average buyer t have the dial inspected with a loupe prior to shipping. Personally I'd pay an extra 50% on top of the price if the watch was given a thorough inspection prior to shipping. Maybe some dealers could think about offering a service like this. If some el cheapo Timex can have a perfect dial then surely top class reps can too.

I'd certainly pay that much more, if not even more than 50%. So I buy a DJ that is kind of really well done. You look at it with a triplet though and it's a mess. Crap floating down inside the dial, dial printing crooked, movement starts and stops. The watch is $188 and has some problems. I'd have paid $300-360 without question if I could be guaranteed a watch that was QC'd and the problems taken care of before shipment.

/Tim