When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long for a new auto movement to "settle in?"

Blackrain

So here I am, two new reps, and two new gens in 4 weeks! All automatics, some a little fast, some a little slow. I've opened them all up within the first week, adjusted the "+" or "-" as required, and closed them back up. Some are a little more accurate, some are not. Now I'm reading it takes a little while for a movement to "break in", so maybe I should chill on the adjustments for a bit? Assuming they are each being worn 2 days a week, and spending the other 5 days in a winder, how long for my 2836-2, 2824-2, and 7S26 movements to be broken in, where a movement adjustment will be more meaningful? Thanks!

Without a watch analyser to show the beat and rate, your really shooting in the wind when it comes to adjustments...some have good luck and end up with a really accurate watch, others never get it to run accuratly.

If the beat is out, then it's going to be inconsistant in running. The analyser allows you to see and determin the condition of the movement and all the moving parts. It can also tell you if there are any defects, and if it's in need of servicing, etc.

The movement is most likely a surplus one, as they all are, so good chance that it's been broken in a long time ago. Break in is not really an issue with a properly serviced movement, since the pivots are all oiled correctly and running in a film of oil, with proper oiling, nothing wears out and nothing changes...there is nothing to break in, certainly not like pistons lapping themselves to the cylinder walls following a rebuild.

Without knowing the condition, or if the beat is adjusted correctly, if the movement is clean or dirty, oiled or dry, old mainspring or new one, it's very hard to get any idea on what is going on, if anything.

The normal way to adjust a watch, get the beat right, then adjust the rate to about 10-15 seconds fast per day. Let the owner wear the watch for a week, then see how much it's off, then make adjustments to compensate for and consider the wearing habits of the watch owner, and then it will be accurate.

Wearing habits have a huge impact on timing, simply adjusting it will not make it more accurate, you need to consider the effect that the owner has on the adjustments and rate, and then compensate for them. You may have to adjust a watch 30 seconds fast per day on the timer, for it to run even on the wrist...

Remember though, that a standard ETA 28XX model is designed to be no better than 20 or so seconds per day...any better than this, and your above the average. It's all in the expectation, if your expecting more than the movement is capable of delivering, your going to be let down.

With a clean well oiled and adjusted watch, you can get amazing results. My 1962 5508 Rolex is within a few seconds per day, not bad after 45 years...

RG