When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD Coating

Finepics

For anyone wanting clarification of the type of coating that Panerai use on their PVD watches I have found an obscure reference to it in the book by Campo Negretti that says the coat is an anti scratch and anti reflection coat obtained after micro bead blasting and coating with Titanuim Nitride and is an Anthracite colour.

So this has to be TiAIN (Titanium Aluminium Nitride) as opposed to TiN (Titanium Nitride) which is Gold, not black. The addition of Aluminium makes it go through darker shades (which are actually shades of purple that become dark enough to look grey/black). So it is not pure black as it is not possible to obtain black with TiAIN.

mark

but in many panerai forum

a lot of member tell that the new panerai 195 logo

have dlc coating

which is more grey

what do you know about that?

I have seen a pic (here somewhere?) of new prototypes that are coated with DLC (which is much blacker than TiAIN - not grey) and a black ceramic material. But the reps that should be PVD are older models particularly the Pre-A and Pre-V's which would be in TiAIN, and Panerai has not yet made a production model in DLC as far as I am aware (not sure about the 195).

the pvd replica panerai is a pure pvd

nothing like the genuine pvd

???

I was thinking they used a black oxide kit like this... http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

Pretty inexpensive to do it yourself, just have to make sure it is cleaned in very well first.

Anybody know a company that will do actual PVD ot a consumer level. I mean any that would bother with doing just a few small pieces.

Just to bore you all with more technical details:

PVD stands for Physical Vapour Deposition and this covers many different types of coating. The coatings typically deposited are TiN, AlTiN, TiAlN, CrN, CrCN, TiCN and ZrN..

ADLC (Amorphous Diamond Like Carbon) is a PACVD (Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition) and is harder than TiAIN and is processed at a higher temperature. PACVD process is able to deposit a range of ADLC coatings designed for specific application environments including variants for high precision applications, a low-stress version and a version for ceramics.

I have a UK company here that can do both Ti and DLC coats and I am in the process of negotiating a price. I have already had a sample case done

in TiAIN and although at first I found the colour a little strange i am told it is as dark as TiAIN can be so that is what I am sticking with!! I will notify the board as soon as I get the prices sorted out. It will be somewhere in the 80UK range I hope.

Self-reference (with apologies to Goedel):

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...5&hl=dlc&st=19#

To anyone interested:

you can't go wrong with finepics. His talent is second only to his seek for perfection.