When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Basel/SIHH 2007 (3 new Rolex models)

Fuzzy

:yucky:

The Yacht-Master II is a regatta or yachting timer, it uses a new idea whereby it is programmed by rotating the bezel. The watch uses a new version of the current Daytona movement, called the 4160, there are 10 new patents on the technology involved and Rolex tell me they spent over 35,000 man/hours developing the watch. Rolex like to say that this is their first in-house 'Complication' but that, like all Rolex Oyster watches, the complication is designed for a specific sport.

In order to make the watch easy to use in the challenging time just before a race starts Rolex have dispensed with the traditional screw pushers for the first time in over 30 years, yet the watch is still waterproof to 100m (330 feet), exactly the same as the first Submariners.

There have been many questions about the functions & how it works, rather than try to answer all of them, I have chosen to post the full description & technical specs from the press pack; it will take some reading, but it should all be clear after you have read it.

FUNCTIONS

The functioning of the Yacht-Master II is very simple. With one hand, the user can rapidly programme the countdown. Likewise, he can start, stop, set or synchronise it, while it is in progress, to the official countdown with a simple press of a pusher.

1. TIMING THE START OF A REGATTA

Press the start/stop pusher to start the countdown.

At the end of the countdown, the minute hand stops by itself at 0. The seconds hand continues to turn.

2. SYNCHRONISATION OF THE COUNTDOWN (IF NECESSARY)

At the time of the official signal, sound or visual:

Press the reset pusher briefly and firmly.

The minute countdown hand repositions itself to the nearest minute, while the seconds countdown hand returns to 0. When the reset pusher is released, the minute countdown hand and the seconds countdown hand are automatically activated.

3. STOPPING THE COUNTDOWN

Press the start/stop pusher.

4. SETTING THE COUNTDOWN

Make certain that the countdown is stopped.

Press the reset pusher. The minute countdown hand returns to the minute programmed at the last setting and the seconds countdown hand returns to 0. The countdown is ready to be started.

5. PROGRAMMING THE COUNTDOWN

First, make certain that the countdown is stopped.

Turn the bezel 90

post-306-1176683467_thumb.jpg

What a bloody palaver....just to time a boat......jebus..... :rolleyes:

The truth of the matter is that 90% of people who bought the original Yachtie have never seen a regatta......the looks of the watch alone were what sold it.......it is IMHO.....the nicest watch that Rolex make......very clean...purposeful looking but elegant.....!

Now if only Rolex had sat up and taken notice that the current trend amongst almost all brands is for 'oversize' watches.....and subsequently had 'upscaled' the Yachtmaster to a 44/45mm size....exact same design...nothing changed.........just larger...with a 26mm bracelet tapering to 24mm......hmmmm.......I'm not a great Rolex fan as most of you know......but I woud definitely wear one of those......!

If I'm not mistaken......Invicta produced an 'hommage' replica of the Yachtmaster ....I think it was called the Ocean Ghost or similar......which was oversized.....perhaps a member can enlighten further.....!