When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT hand "slipping" on Omega SMP

I have an Omega SMP GMT with the modified 2836 movement, purchased from another member. The red GMT hand periodically stops tracking properly throughout a 24 hour cycle. I can set the GMT hand properly with the crown, with no sense that the gears are not engaged properly. When I move the hour and minute hands with the crown the GMT hand tracks properly.

The hand will track normally for an hour (or three or six - it varies), then stop moving. I will then start back up again on its own later in the day. It stops at different points on the dial, so it doesn't appear it is catching on a high spot on the dial or anything like that.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and what would need to be done to fix it? I am comfortable with the thought of pulling the movement and the hands (just ordered the right tool for the job :hammer: ) so I am willing to take a crack at fixing this myself. Or is this too risky and I should just send it out to The Zigmeister?

Thanks for any advice!

"Scotty"

(no Trekkers, not that one...)

There could be a number of reasons why it's stopping, most likely the problem is the attachment and engagement of the GMT gear to the rest of the gears.

It could be as simple as installing a dial washer over the gear stack to make sure the gears stay engaged.

One simple test it this, lie on the bed with the watch upside down over your head (ie dial facing you), pull the crown to the time setting position, and turn the time, watch the GMT hand, and see what it does, if it skips a beat, the gears are becoming unmeshed and that is your problem.

RG

There could be a number of reasons why it's stopping, most likely the problem is the attachment and engagement of the GMT gear to the rest of the gears.

It could be as simple as installing a dial washer over the gear stack to make sure the gears stay engaged.

One simple test it this, lie on the bed with the watch upside down over your head (ie dial facing you), pull the crown to the time setting position, and turn the time, watch the GMT hand, and see what it does, if it skips a beat, the gears are becoming unmeshed and that is your problem.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister - I'll try that tonight. If that is the problem, is a dial washer something I can get from a local watch guy or something special I need to order specific to the movement?

No, no, no, you have to be in BED for it to work... :yawn:

RG

In bed, out of bed, didn't really matter. Having the watch upside down I tried as The Zigmeister suggested to see if the gear was indeed disengaging. It didn't. I even tapped it a bit to see if that had any effect. The GMT hand followed perfectly. Any other thoughts? :blink: