When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

VW Camper

littleme

I'm interested in buying a VW Camper poss a split screen (splitty)1965/66,however I know little about the possible problems and what to lookout for.I may even consider trying to import one.Again I know nothing about importing a car and costs.If anybody has one and can give me some advice on the camper or/and importing I would be interested to hear.

Thanks

I'm interested in buying a VW Camper poss a split screen (splitty)1965/66,however I know little about the possible problems and what to lookout for.I may even consider trying to import one.Again I know nothing about importing a car and costs.If anybody has one and can give me some advice on the camper or/and importing I would be interested to hear.

Thanks

As with all classic cars there will be particular enthusiasts groups and forums that can answer your questions. Often, when considering the purchase of a classic, it's worth joining the owner's club in advance of purchase. they can often tie you up with a local enthusiast who will 'mentor' your enthusiasm....

A lot will depend on your location. Here in the UK most of these vehicles rusted away decades ago... Never been into VWs but I'm lead to believe that there are air ducts in the body that are rust traps... The air-cooled engines are strong units though.

I've run a number of classics over the years and the current toy is an '83 Porsche 924; actually it's more of an everyday driver; my other vehicle being the Landrover I use for work...

Good luck with your search..

Qsub

Thanks for the info,I have put some serious websearching time in recently, but the club idea is a good one.

Ps how can you not be drawn to the classic :drive1: mind you a porsche isn't a bad car to have.I did have a lovely def 90 until someone else wanted it and took it in the night,now that's a great car.

Qsub

Thanks for the info,I have put some serious websearching time in recently, but the club idea is a good one.

Ps how can you not be drawn to the classic :drive1: mind you a porsche isn't a bad car to have.I did have a lovely def 90 until someone else wanted it and took it in the night,now that's a great car.

Oh I've had my moments. ALMOST bought a beach-buggy once... The fact it was in baby-pink gelcoat put me off though :animal_rooster: I suspected it might get me the wrong sort of attention... And oddly; before I got my first Landrover (back in '86) I DID consider a VW bus... Even back then though they were silly money here in the UK...