When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To my german friends...

pwygant

Greetings,

I am a swede but I have been living here in the U.S for many years. My wife's grandfather gave us a very nice mechanical (weight) grandfather clock he indicated they bought in Germany many years ago. I have tried to determine the age of this thing for many years but I am not really sure of what to look for. According to her grandfather the piece can be anywhere from the late 1800's or early 1900's or even after the 1950's. I am not sure. I am enclosing some pictures of the piece itself but also of the tag inside the front door. I think it starts with the name of the watchmaker and then perhaps the city where it originated?

Any other ideas?

//Cheers

264280-4832.jpg

264280-4833.jpg

Well, this is the tag of the Watchmaker who sold or build the watch. His Name was Rob(ert?) Zumkeller, he was a watchmaker (Uhrmacher) by profession, and his shop was located in Chemnitz (a city in the Eastern part of Germany), Am Markt 12 (Street Address).

I've done a quick Google but did not find anything. In the absence of any experience in this type of clocks... that's all I can help you with. Good luck Sherlock...