When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guys, do me a favor, and report this one...

Guest avitt

I can across this franken Daytona auction while searching for info on the Valjoux 726 movement:

ROLEX PAUL NEWMAN DAYTONA 6263 VALJOUX 72/6 COSMOGRAPH

...Now, you all probably know that I have no objections to the sale of frankens on the 'bay - provided that they are properly described so that the buyer knows what he/she's getting, and nobody gets ripped off.

So after reading the description, I was compelled to send the following message to the seller:

"Hello. In your description, you have stated that this watch uses an "original Rolex case". I am not sure if you are aware, but the case is actually a Chinese aftermarket piece, which is worth quite a bit less than a genuine Rolex case. You can tell this by the fact that the numbers and letters are etched into the case, and not engraved as an original would be. Also, the serial number is a common to many of these mass-produced aftermarket cases (I myself own a case with the same serial number). I'm sorry if this information comes as a surprise to you. I trust that you will edit your description accordingly. Please feel free to ask, if you have any questions. Best Regards"

To which he responded:

"thanks for your concern...I am sure of the authenticity of the case as I have had it serviced by a certified Rolex technician. good luck"

...So I came back with:

"Thanks for your response. Evidently, I know a bit more about this than your technician...I can assure you, with 100% certainty, that your case is a Chinese fake. Furthermore, it uses replica pushers, which are of inferior quality (genuine pushers will not even fit this case, as the thread pitch is incorrect). I can further substantiate my claims, if you are interested in learning more, so than you can accurately represent your item."

At which point, he stepped up with:

"ok...well thanks for your interest...if you feel the item is not to your standards please refrain from bidding....thanks again"

...I guess there's nothing left to do, but rat him out. Here is the form for reporting to eBay:

Report Replica or Counterfeit Items

This item number is 200143602873

Thanks.