When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Installing jimmy CG

ahchard

Hi I was just a bit bored and decided to give it a try installing the jimmy CG by myself.

It is very simple I guess, took a few tries to get the rubber sleeve to fully fit into the guard, but thats done already!

Now I am stuck at trying to put the lever onto the guard. The wee pin that comes with it... Is there a special trick to put it in? It is quite a tight fit and i have tried pushing and lightly hammering with no luck so far... dont dare to hammer it too hard as I dont want to scratch or ruin the cg...

can anyone help?

Thanks!

Hi I was just a bit bored and decided to give it a try installing the jimmy CG by myself.

It is very simple I guess, took a few tries to get the rubber sleeve to fully fit into the guard, but thats done already!

Now I am stuck at trying to put the lever onto the guard. The wee pin that comes with it... Is there a special trick to put it in? It is quite a tight fit and i have tried pushing and lightly hammering with no luck so far... dont dare to hammer it too hard as I dont want to scratch or ruin the cg...

can anyone help?

Thanks!

try to hammer it carefully with a piece of wood and a hammer(between pin and hammer), or press it with a tool which you use to fit bracletts (make them smaller)

helmut

I actually managed to kind of get it in... i used a pair of pliars and had cloth around the cg to prevent scratches... managed to get the pin in about 95%... but then after that the lever won't close properly, after i close it, it will open slightly... I think a bit of the rubber sleeve is caught in the pin somewhere...

I would think the sequence of events would be:

- Ensure the base of the CG fits the case snugly on both sides of the case tube first. Should fit perfectly on Jimmy case. On rep cases it may or may not need adjustment (i.e. filing down to match the contour of the case).

- Now take it off and install crown, tube, etc.

- Put the CG back on and put lever in without pin or with pin but without rubber sleeve so you can properly size the lever and get the pin out.

- Adjust the lever (i.e. shave it down) so that the lever firmly contacts while sitting flush within the CG. Not too far in or sticking out. :lol:

- Now put the sleeve and pin in.

It minimizes the opportunity to screw up the pin/sleeve combo. ;)

Thanks Kruzer!!! The CG fits my case pretty well... as far as my eye can see... so don't think that will need any shaving.

The lever will definitely need some shaving though!

Sigh... why does everything need to be so hard... I guess I will just leave it to the experts next time and just do bracelet resizing myself... hahaha...

To be honest... I can tell any difference with the Jimmy CG and my 029 CG apart from the fact that the Jimmy lever is really firm and not wobbly like the one on the 029 now. Visually I can't tell....

Some of the 2893's do have excellent crown guards that are visually very close. It is all in the hole (size of it) - just like women (the smaller, the better - :lol:), the thickness and curve of the lever and the finish of the inner and outer edges. On the movement of the lever you can find prior posts on inserting the rubber casing from a certain size electrical wire on the pin to firm it up.

My watchsmith presses the pin in about 99% of the way (I actually saw him use what looked like a wooden skewer fit in a drill press to push the pin in, I assume to avoid damaging the metal) and then sands and polished the pin until it is dead flush w/ the CG.