When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hamilton Khaki X-Wind Chrono: Review

anton

So today originally started out as a day for myself to pick up some moving supplies, but on the way there though, something unexpected occured.

Not only did i NOT pick up any moving supplies, I didn't pick up anything related to moving. Instead, I picked up a new watch. I know that from rep collecting I seemed to neglect the variety of gens that I could have purchased or have perused through.

This one did seem to catch my eye, though. It's the Hamilton Khaki X-Wind Chronograph.

DSC00204.jpg

Before today I didn't think much of Hamilton or know much of its' history but that was because I wasn't much of a WIS. All I knew were the Rolexes, Tag Heuers, and Movados. As this Chronograph is intended for aviation use, it set me on a whole new plane (pardon the pun).

It was geared to be an affordable, or alternative aviation chronograph. As you can see from the pictures, it has a very busy dial and a total of THREE functional bezels. Now I'm no "flyboy" so I don't know what it exactly calculates. So a quick browse of the manual (didn't know a watch needed a manual!) tells me it is used to calculate flight times, distances, and altitudes. I beleive it was released as a response to other much pricier models out there; namely the Navitimer, some Sinn and Fortis chronographs, and the (then new) Bell & Ross BR01-94.

The case diameter is roughly 44.5mm and Hamilton has done a good job of using ALL of the available space on the watch. The crystal is flat, though (I don't know the correct word for it) for some reason it give a distorted look when viewing from its' side or at a slight angle. The watch sits nicely and is very comfortable due to its' flat back. There are three crowns and two chronopushpieces. The two crowns on the right side control the inner bezel and the "inner inner" bezel, which can be seen from a window placed on the inner bezel.

Inside of the body is an unadjusted, roughly unfinished stock V7750, placed in an upside-down configuration. For something that has been largely untouched from when it left ETA, it keeps great time, being off by maybe -6 to +8 seconds a day.

The watch was intended to be my daily wearer and my "beater". It's a beauty to look at and suits me perfectly as a "tool" watch. It's available in a rubber, pilot's leather (like the IWC Big Pilot band), and bracelet models. I hear there's even a limited edition of this watch being done in red gold.

I purchased this from my local dealer at a discount from the MSRP of $995.

I never understood why Hamilton has always been looked down by the WISes on other websites, but I guess simply it's because they were the "Patek Philippe" of America, but since being owned by the Swatch group have turned into just a name on a watch. But since the build quality is FANTASTIC, it keeps great time, much attention is given to the details of the watch, the functionality (okay, maybe most of us will never use the functions) that it provides makes me feel that it gives great bang for the buck. And online, it can be had for $700 or less. A V7750 OEM watch for less than $700 you say? You bet!

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

Next time you are considering spending near $7-800 on a rep that has a V7750 or a HBB, consider this. You get a great looking watch, a reliable timepiece, and it's also backed by a warranty to boot.

Edited by anton