When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another PAM 127 Crystal question or two......

bres3000

Zig,

1st of all, am I insane to try and install a crystal myself?

I am not aware of your skill level and experience, so it's hard for me to answer this question. On this model the big issue is the size of the crystal. It's big as you know, and with the press you have shown, there are two issues,

1. Alignment and

2. Alignment...

As long as you use the largest die and the case sits perfectly level and you can press it down even on all sides, it will work for you...but...these presses tend to either not line up well (meaning the dies are not perfectly paralell to each other) and or the dies tend to bend. I see that this one has metal dies, so maybe the bending is not an issue, so that leaves alignment.

My press cost $600, and has Delrin dies, not metal or nylon ones (nylon bends like mad and is crap for dies). And I get sweaty palms when I have to press these large crystals in place, it takes a fair amount of pressure, and it's scary until it seats, as it can just smash into pieces...

2nd, is this* Press "adequate?"

What would you recommend I do? Thanks.

It's your call, I cant' tell you what to do or not due, but you should have a bit more info to help make your decision...

RG